Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Insurance?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by mimiretz, May 6, 2018.

1. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    We're looking into getting pet insurance for both Oberon (4 years in Sept) and Casanova-the-cat (5 years in July). Oberon is in good health. Casanva is in good health now, but did have a serious UTI. We've been told that after having one UTI, male cats are more suasceptible to having more and that subsequent ones can be even more severe, sometimes requiring surgery.

Any recommendations for good pet insurance? While price isn't the only factor (obviously), it is a consideration.

2. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I have been using Embrace for many years. I use it for catastrophic events, so I selected a higher deductible and the highest coverage (90%). They also have a vanishing deductible that goes down every year that you do not make a claim. I have not used it so far with Zulu, but when Cody had kidney disease, they were very easy to work with, never gave me any hassles, and paid promptly. After he passed, I had 4 months left on the policy. I contacted them to cancel, and they sent me a refund check for the entire policy amount. Sure was not expecting that! Highly recommended!

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I use Embrace as my primary policy and can't say enough good things about them. I have never had a claim be denied (and trust me, I've had several major claims as well as minor claims). Their customer service is second to none and the cost of the policy is very reasonable (though I started each of my dogs when they were about 3 months old). I pay about $25 each per month, for a $500 deductible, 90% benefit, $10,000 per year, lifetime max of $50,000. I also have a secondary policy in place with Healthy Paws, which I haven't used yet.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I can tell you that when I eventually get a puppy, I'm going with Embrace!!

Cara Sandler likes this.
  5. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    You might find, though, that any subsequent UTIs will be considered pre-existing conditions and not covered. I think this will be the case with any pet insurance company. Definitely ask them when you are looking into each company.

6. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    I will definitely ask as I can see it going either way, or perhaps after X years it not being considered a pre-existing condition.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    After bad experiences with several pet insurance companies, I settled on Trupanion. They don't cover pre-existing conditions (I don't think anyone does) but what I like about them is they do not raise the premium each year as your dog ages. Every other company I've had prices out of affordability by the time the dog is 6 or 7. So if you insure the dog at a young age, the price stays the same for life.

ghggp and corbinam like this.
  8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I second Trupanion, but also doubt the UTIs will be covered.

9. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Got an email this morning from Embrace. They have added a 24/7 pet helpline at no charge to customers. They have partnered with whiskerDocs that gives policy holders access to veterinary experts at no extra cost. "The pet experts at whiskerDocs provide real time decision support when it comes to questions you have about your pet. Whiskerdocs offer guidance on pet related topics including: emergencies, poisons & toxins, possible symptoms, managing chronic conditions, wellness care, behaviour issues, medical concerns, vitamins & supplements, holistic care, diet, exercise, & lab results". They also say that their help is not substitute for your regular vet, but it seems like a nice extra.

10. Emily777

Emily777 Forums Novice

Jul 8, 2018
    Great thread! I also want to buy pet insurance, so this information is useful for me. I should say, you guys have persuaded me that Embrace is a good choice. Thanks!