Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Insurance

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sandy in CT, May 3, 2021.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I did do a search prior to posting... still have questions... We've never had insurance on the puppers before, even when having 2.

Pet insurance - I get their on some on the insurance and some on the savings account side. For those that do have insurance, do you feel you've netted a better results with your Pet Insurance?

I see Trupanion and Embrace mentioned with positivity, Healthy Paws not so much... pros/cons to your preferred insurance?

Deductibles... personal question but what did you choose and why?

I ran a quote with Embrace... for 750.00 deductible and 70% payback, up to 10,000 in claims, paid annually is 401 for Deacon and 419 for Brodie or 820.00 annually. If I am understanding, no claims means my deductible gets lowered each year but my cost can rise on each dog per year. There is an annual deductible with Embrace that renew each year.

The quote with Trupanion with a 750.00 deductible, is 603.48 for Brodie and 507.24 for Deacon annually, but I would also add on recovery care for each dog which brings the total to 1240.08 annually. If I understand, each illness has a lifetime deductible and this policy should increase very little per year.

I might be a bit too late. I've been hemming and hawing on insurance with all these injuries here. Yesterday, Brodie started a limp. I think he may have sprained his front carpal - we shall see his diagnosis....

Darren and Sharon7 like this.
  2. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    This is always a tough one. Insurance companies aren't in the business to lose money so you know that you're paying more than average vet costs than what your coverage actually covers. There are lots of exclusions and exceptions in most policies as well. Now if you do have a sick or badly injured animal then it's great to be able to pay for expensive treatments but remember that no pre-existing conditions are covered.

Whew.

I think there are two other approaches that are workable for health care. The simplest one is to take the money you would have to pay for premiums and deductibles and tuck it into a separate account and let it accrue over time. You have to have the discipline to leave it in there in order for it to work. The other approach is to use credit care where you use a special credit card to pay vet expenses and stretch payments out over time. It is basically a health account. Here's a link to one.

https://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

I spent a good portion of my early career working for insurance companies. They make a lot of money. As long as you keep in mind that they exist to make money, not to save your dog, they can sometimes be a blessing.

Sharon7, Ann, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Thanks for the response Glenn!!!!

I have heard of care credit, have not looked into it, I will. Yeah, the savings account is my other option - stick it in there and apply my own deductible - don't use unless I have to. Decisions, decisions....

Ann, Piper's mom and Darren like this.
  4. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    I had insurance for Monty which helped so much when he was very ill last year. His bill was in the thousands and except for a modest deductable it was all covered.......Then when it came to renew they put the price up so much I just couldn't cover it. They said it was due to
    1. making a claim
    2. How much the claim was worth
    3. Monty was now high risk.
    I tried shopping around but everywhere wanted hundreds of pounds a month to cover him. I thought I would just put money away every month and hopefully by the time he needs to visit the vet again I could use that....well as you know he didn't wait long before knocking his teeth out and getting concussion....

For me if my insurance was affordable I would have it for peace of mind as I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Since I currently can't really go down that route I'm doing the 'put it in a savings account'.
    I think putting the money away is great option as well it will always be yours and anything not used in the future can come back to you. You just need your dog to be injury free for a while so you can build the money up first. Obviously though it runs a little risk as some treatments can run up such a huge bill.

Sharon7, Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Thank you for your reply Darren!!!!

So sad, put your money into insurance and yet they force you out of it cuz you use it! So wrong, aye?!

Appreciate your insight. Yours is the story that makes me question buying the policy. Your experience reflected Glenn’s.

thank you!!!!

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I have Carecredit which is essentially a Master Card. It’s been a godsend for my dogs who aren’t insured. Basically your vet (or your doctor, it’s good for people too) determines a number of months you will have interest free, anywhere from 6 to 24, and you pay on it as you would a regular credit card.

Flurry is on Trupanion since I insure all my puppies for their first year. I have $1000 deductible which we blew through quickly when her allergies began. Needless to say, she’s still insured at nearly 4 and her insurance covers 90 percent of her very expensive allergy serum, dermatologist visits, and everything else. The cost of her treatment to this point is in the thousands. Her premium has gone up just a few dollars each year. For me, it’s been worth it.

Darren, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.