Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Is it normal for you to not meet your new puppy until day you bring it home?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by kmarcel, May 25, 2018.

1. kmarcel

kmarcel Forums Regular

Jan 2, 2015
    Speedway IN
    Hello,
    I have been reading posts on this site for quite some time but never actually posted until now. I have had shelties since 1991 and we put down our last one in May 2017. I've been looking for a bi-blue or a blue merle for several months now and have the option for a bi-blue that is currently a week old.

I have talked with the breeder and really like her. She is on FB but no website. The dogs are AKC and she shows many dogs so I know she is a good legitimate breeder.

As you can imagine dogs get reserved quickly and if I want this one week old dog I need to put a deposit on him, totally understand. The breeder is less than 2 hours away and I asked her if when the dog is 4-5 weeks old could I meet him. She explained that she no longer does that due to past experiences of kennel cough from a visitor whose dog waited in the car when they visited. I currently have no dogs.

My question is since it's been 14 years since I bought a sheltie, is it common to not meet your new puppy until the day you bring him home. Of course I have seen a picture and she will continue to send them to me, and I know puppies get shipped all over and obviously are not seen until they get to their new home. I've just read so much on this site about letting your puppy pick you out and deciding on a dog based on personality, etc.

I would just like some advice on this. As I stated I really like her based on our conversations, but I'm kind of new to getting a puppy since it's been so long. I could not find out anything by googling this subject. (I hope she doesn't read this forum I would feel terrible if she recognized this post!!)

Karen

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    To me personally, it's no go - I want to be sure there's chemistry between the puppy and me
    (It's actually the puppies who chosen me)

I would never pay a deposit for a puppy I never had contact with.

I would never bind myself to the purchase of a puppy I have not been with.

I would find another breeder.

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Karen, Congrats on getting a new puppy!

Sounds like the breeder has already picked a pup for you. I guess my feelings are:

1. I would definitely tell the breeder you want to meet the pup. Her reason does not seem all that credible to me.
    2. Let's say there might be an option to pick from two pups... Example: one may take a shine to you over another.
    Also, you can see the pups interacting. See if one is shy or more outgoing which may weigh into your decision.
    3. This is a 13-14 year commitment.
    4. Although this may seem like the perfect timing to you, waiting to find the right pup with a breeder that will allow you to visit may be the right course.

I say this because I had lost three of my shelties in under two years and wanted to get another one right away. I ended up waiting and was glad I did because I got the right age and temperament to fit my home and pack.

Also, not every breeder wants to have a website. That I can understand. Some are just not large enough to warrant one.
    Never feel bad about asking questions... If she is a truly reputable breeder she would not mind you doing your homework as that means you are a dedicated pet owner!

In closing, I have never encountered a breeder who would not allow you to meet the puppy in advance.
    Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Keep us updated and share pictures!

Hanne likes this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    of my current 4 dogs, I only met 2 before bringing them home. mostly because the breeders were not close and visiting before acquiring wasn't really an option. the two that I met before getting them, I wasn't actually looking to get a dog when I met them, things worked out that I picked up my girl 3 months after I met her- mostly to keep her brother company when my older sheltie wouldn't play with him. the second sheltie- well that was a breeder who lived close enough to visit- I went to visit and socialize with the puppies- they weren't 8 weeks yet so I knew I wasn't coming home with one and had no plans to get a puppy from that litter but 2 months later, the one that I liked was still available so he did come home then. I have never had to put a deposit down on a puppy and still don't know how I would feel about that if it was required.
    gotta say - go with your gut.........

5. kmarcel

kmarcel Forums Regular

Jan 2, 2015
    Speedway IN
    Thank you Hanne, ghggp & Calliesmom. I thought I was over reacting and this was normal for what breeders do now-a-days, but now I am really having second thoughts. I have been checking breeders in my state and surrounding states, emailing and asking for a bi-blue or blue merle for almost a year now. I had my name on the list for another breeder that had puppies 3 weeks ago but she doesn't know if she will sell the blue merle and will wait until between the ages of 8-10 weeks to see if she's show quality. She also mentioned there was another previous dog purchaser from her that was also interested. I have read before that breeders will often sell to a previous customer before a new one. So it made me wonder if she does decide to sell would she sell to me.

My plan was to patiently wait out the next few weeks and keep checking back with her, then I heard about this latest litter from a co-worker. I need to send her a $100 deposit in the next few days, as she said there was another person interested in this puppy. (the $100 doesn't really matter, it's not meeting the puppy). I also need to let other breeder know to take me off her list. Of course the two breeders aren't aware of each other and I hate to do that, but this has been a year-long search. The more I look at facebook and websites pictures of breeders shelties, the more I miss my two sable girls, becoming more and more heartbreaking.

And of course I feel as though I'm under the gun to act in the next few days. Really need to ponder this, and any other words of advise would really be a welcome.
    Karen

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    The breeder picked Tully out for me. I told her what i was after (A show prospect with high drive for agility) and she picked the pup for me. If it was up to me I wouldn't have picked Tully. She was ugly (mahogany sables are not attractive pups) and didn't want anything to do with me. And even getting her home I was in two minds for a few months about sending her back because she wasn't bonding. Problem was I met my other Sheltie first and he crawled into my lap and adopted me and never looked back. My other male Shelties were similarly clingy. But roll forward and I just could not imagine life without her. And now I want my future Shelties to be just like Tully.

So the moral of my story - don't put too much weight into meeting the puppy beforehand. A dog will bond with you in the long run, and you will love it, regardless. If the breeder is a trusted one then maybe trust that the breeder knows the personality of the pups better than you. You should just make sure, if you have any personality requirements, that you let the breeder know.

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so when I got my biblack- I was looking to get a blue. I got on lists with two breeders and waited and waited. I had a small window of time when I could bring a puppy home because of work and when there weren't any blues, I asked the one breeder about some of her black puppies. so I chose Jocu from a picture and he's been awesome. I did email the other breeder to let her know that I had gotten a puppy and maybe a month later, she emailed to see if I would be interested in a puppy that she hadn't placed yet. I passed as two puppies at once would be too much for me. so the rest of that year, there were blues everywhere and then I eventually brought the little blue home.
    here is the gratuitous pic of my pack

JacqueZ likes this.
  8. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Our dogs have always been slightly older, so my advice is from a slightly different place. Annie was the first time we'd moved from Sheltie rescue to breeder for our search. My only advice is trust your gut. We had to wait a while to find Annie as the availability is limited in this area. We had discussions with 2 other breeders and offers for others we didn't contact prior to finding Annie's and something just wasn't right. It was hard to wait thinking we'd never find the match we wanted. However, I'd made a mistake once of giving into desperation with a rescue dog and I swore I'd never make that mistake again.

If there is something in your gut that says no, listen. The one failed rescue we had came because I didn't listen to the voice because I really wanted it to be the right dog. The breeder dogs we turned down were within the range we were looking for, but with each one there was something I wasn't quite comfortable with in the situation and we didn't pursue the dog.

I was nervous with Annie as it was the first breeder we'd dealt with, but there is a big difference between natural nerves and that nagging feeling that tells you a mistake is ahead.

9. kmarcel

kmarcel Forums Regular

Jan 2, 2015
    Speedway IN
    Thank you Caro. That makes me feel much better. This breeder has talked to me at length a couple of times and I really like her. She was referred by another breeder and I know she has a good reputation.

Calliesmom says go with my gut. Right now my gut says to take the chance.

10. kmarcel

kmarcel Forums Regular

Jan 2, 2015
    Speedway IN
    You all have been so helpful. Calliesmom, your dogs are beautiful! Your bi blue looks just like my dream dog that I have been trying to get for almost a year now.