Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Is the pet supply store Sheltie heaven?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:00 PM.

1. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow sure thinks it is. We went in today to buy a new collar, hopefully escape-proof, unlike the harness she has been wearing.

Willow finds it lovely, she gets to ride in the cart, smell and check out all the dog stuff. The best part is almost everyone she meets in there is a dog lover and she gets a ton of attention, all well deserved she tells me. Little kids, big kids, adults, all ask to pet her. She doesn't ever refuse and wags her tail wildly and dispenses kisses to anyone who brings their face close enough.

The best part for me is she crashes the minute she gets home and sleeps for hours. Talk about a win-win scenario.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 4:37 PM
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Wait until Willow is big enough to navigate the pet supply store on her four paws and can help herself to the lovely treats in bins at nose height, or snag a fuzzy toy that she likes. Then it's REALLY Sheltie heaven!! :yes:

Piper's mom, GlennR, Hanne and 4 others like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Gosh, I so wish Liam was more like Willow! He is still on the shy side and I will be taking him out more now that the weather is breaking.
    What the social butterfly she is!

Piper's mom, GlennR and KarenCurtis like this.
  4. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow is braver in the shopping cart than she is on the street. I think she likes being up high and close to faces.

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Willow - the social butterfly!

I carry a small blanket one in my vehicle at all times. I toss it in a cart and Brodie rides around like a king! When I started socializing him, I wanted to bring him places but not have him 'feet on the ground' because who knows what the dogs in Petco have been vaccinated for or not, right?! So we would go, and still do, but I still haven't let him walk around on a leash. Home Depot and Lowes are great places to expose them to different sights, smells and noises. They both tend to be a tad noisier than my two Petco's.

Piper's mom and GlennR like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Yes watch out for the little thieves lol! Piper ALWAYS manages to snag a piece of dehydrated goodie (why do they put them at dog height???:ROFLMAO:)!!!
    They usually don't make me pay (he's too cute)...and really, you put it at his height you expect them to steal lol.

Ann likes this.
  7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Gavin always steals a few treats as well...he loves the pet food express across the street because of this. That and the people behind the counter always give him treats :)

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    they do it so the humans feel guilty that their dog stole stuff so you'll buy some.........

9. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Grand Central Station is quieter than my local Petco. We took Cassie in there last weekend. WHAT A MISTAKE! It was so loud and noisy that it was hurting MY ears! We refilled the cat litter containers and got OUT! Then we went to see her BF at the barkery. That calmed her down a lot.

But when it is quieter- yes, the Pet Supply Store is HEAVEN! DH likes to allow the dogs to pick their own toys. We took Casey and Brodie when we first got together. He kept trying to get Brodie to choose, but the only toy Brodie had any interest in was a tennis ball and his elephant. Casey, however, got tired of us having the "Brodie only wants a ball" discussion and pulled a duck off the shelf. DH said, "Well, if that's the one you want, you need to carry it to the checkout line." So Casey did.

10. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Shelby had been known to steal a treat or two also. You know they put them at dog height for a reason. We have several local pet friendly stores in the area. Shelby’s favorite is our local hardware store. She knows everyone and knows where the treats are kept. If a new person is working and does not know where the treats are she will go behind the counter and point to them with her nose. We are there on a regular basis, when we walked in yesterday one of the cashiers saw us and I heard her say “the baby is here!” They fight over who gets to check us out and give her treats.

Calliesmom likes this.