Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Isn't 36 years enough?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, May 15, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Okay, this post subject line is strictly satirical. I would never divorce my wife, it costs too much and Willow wouldn't stand for it. :)

Last night, I was updating the kennel owner, Willow's breeder, about how she's doing. During our correspondence, she told me she has a tri puppy available and, even better, with the same sire and dam as my girl. Wow, can you imagine two siblings running around this place? Well, I can and my wife can too.

Unfortunately, what my wife sees, more housebreaking, more training, more barking isn't quite the same side I was contemplating, more cuddles, more cute mischief, more love. :) Sigh, no more dogs or no more her. (I'm almost certain she'd stay but life is full of compromise and it's not worth the risk :)). A real pity but so it shall be, even if it doesn't stop me from dreaming about it.

Ann, Calliesmom and Sandy in CT like this.
  2. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Maybe when Willow gets older you can approach the topic of another sheltie again!

GlennR, Caro and Calliesmom like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Two puppies, even months apart in age, is quite a lot to contemplate! I definitely see both sides of this story! I can imagine how tempting it would be to get a full sibling to your wonderful Willow, obviously excellent breeding.

At least half of our (married) lifetime Shelties have been planned and half not. After Skye passed and we only had Asta who was almost 2, Asta's breeder offered us Ally, 1.5 yrs, Asta's aunt. So out of the blue, still mourning.... didn't know what to do. My wonderful hubby said "I don't see the downside." So Ally came to us. Whenever she was naughty the "downside" remark got dredged up. :winkgrin:

Same scenario with Faith. We had very suddenly and unexpectedly lost Asta to a stroke. Beyond devastated, and totally numb. A week later, Brooke's breeder offered us Faith, a two year old tornado. Cried a lot, didn't know if we could do this so soon, decided to go with love instead of fear/grief, and Faith joined us a month after Asta's passing. Fate just has a funny way of throwing things into your path. In my case, I realized how easy it would be to just say no, but the immediate thought was, "What if we are passing up a fabulous dog?" In both cases our decision was definitely the right one.

Maybe when Willow is an adult you could think about adding another. Sometimes it is possible to get a young adult from a breeder who did not make it in the show ring. I can tell you one thing, Shelties are WONDERFUL in multiples.

GlennR, Caro, KarenCurtis and 2 others like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Ah, my postmates here are wonderful but traditional. My method of adding puppies was Spousal Shock Training. I just brought them home. Sometimes when hubby was on a business trip. Other times, they just appeared while he was at work. We'd always discussed another dog in the abstract, him shaking his head no, of course. Once the puppy appeared, in MINUTES, he was smitten and has loved every single one at least as much as me, if not more. Every time. I should add that we've been married more than 40 years. And have six Shelties.

This method is so effective that when I casually mentioned our last few puppies before they arrived, he just rolled his eyes and said, "When is it coming home?" :rolleyes:

GlennR, MissyGallant, Caro and 5 others like this.
  5. Tabitha

Tabitha Premium Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    You must teach me! My fiancé has a strict two dog limit and we already have two. My sheltie, Jody, and his pit mix, Whistle. But I want another sheltie sooooo much! Not right now. We’re a little busy with moving and planning a wedding. But later...:winkgrin:

6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I will say, hubby and I are polar opposites. I grew up in a household dragging home animals. My parents gifted me a sheltie when I was probably 6 or 7. She was a returned dog, guy who had bought her wanted a hyper sheltie and she was not so he abused her. I wanted a dog, I am the youngest (no explanation needed there!) so mom who was terrified of dogs stopped off at this breeder and guess who walked up and placed a paw on mom and mom was not afraid? The one who became my dog, well mom and dad's dog as they spoiled her rotten. Awesome sheltie, Sarah traveled with us extensively, moved from one coast to the other and back. As long as I lived at home, I dragged home homeless cats, then ended up with 3 when I moved out.

Hubby grew up in a small farming community in Newfoundland where animals are more outdoor pets, vet care is uncommon as is neutering. He did end up with the sassiest of cats as an adult and when we married at 31, we had 4. We quickly fizzled down to 1 but added 3 kids in 4 years to the mix. When pregnant with #3, we lost the last cat and I was miserable - we adopted sisters; one we lost at a very young age of 5 to kidney failure and the other we still have, she turns 19 in 2 months, is skinny as a rail and her sassiness grows by the week. Somewhere along the way, I talked hubby into a dog, our first doxie Buddy, he was probably insane from the craziness with the kids at the house but jumped on my "kids must have a dog" bandwagon. Then he decided two were better than one and we got Kooper. Buddy had a great life but then started failing. We had an extra 3 years with him but they were tough ones. I wanted a sheltie puppy but hubby said no way plus I have to admit after having Brodie, it would not have been fair to Buddy to deal with a puppy at the end. We lost Buddy in February of 2018, we brought Brodie home in January - hubby still saying no way, not my thing, going to ruin our lives with the kids all headed off on to their own lives. Hubby was adamant, not helping with potty training, blah, blah, blah.

Well hubby now thinks Brodie needs to tag along everywhere we go. He was shopping last weekend for a kiddie pool for Brodie because Brodie likes to play in water. Last week, he started talking about a 2nd sheltie puppy - I didn't say a PEEP but I know now that we will eventually bring sheltie #2 into our house. Son also wants a sheltie now, so maybe sheltie #2 will be a co-owned dog as it will be both a companion and therapy friend for him, who knows!

I have no regrets getting a puppy in January. It was miserably cold, it was hard to get out with him with potty training - for me, not him. But I am so glad that I was doing it THEN and now we are enjoying obedience and obedience hikes and we have all this summer to do fun stuff outside so for me, the cold weather potty training was just right. When its right, it'll happen!

GlennR, KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Dad was out riding his motorcycle and bought a dog from kids on mainstreet in Brighton Mi for $5 and rode him home in his jacket. That night we loaded and went bike racing....with the new puppy. Mom almost killed him. Though Zeke was an AWESOME dog...though he did get a death threat once :ROFLMAO:

Oh and Willow needs a buddy. Spitfire and Angus are inseparable.

GlennR, KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    need a double like button- this is so awesome:yes:

on the other hand when you live by yourself, you can have 4 in no time:winkgrin:

GlennR, KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  9. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ YES!! This is how we do it! :yes::yes: I always think - what's he going to do? Divorce me? No, now he just says "yes dear" I told my husband I wanted to do Minnie's ears- he was against it until he watched the breeder do one of her dogs ears while we were there. It took 3 minutes. Of course Minnie is a puppy, and husband said "I'm not holding the puppy while you do ears." He will though.

10. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Later- you can do it

GlennR likes this.