Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

itching

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by petdoors, Jun 22, 2018.

1. petdoors

petdoors Forums Regular

Jun 19, 2018
    My sheltie is itching like crazy. I have her on flea meds, I give her grain free food, but she is constantly biting at her back by her tail and wanting to eat her back foot. Is there any advice you guys have?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Please make an appointment to see your vet. My first female sheltie had allergies to tree pollen in my yard. This might be the problem for your pup also.
    I would recommend seeing a vet as soon as possible.

3. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    You may want to do a scraping at the vets to check the skin. The vets sold me this shampoo
    which is cheaper on Chewy.com MiconalHex+Triz Shampoo and I also love Earth Bath Conditioner
    making certain the shampoo is out. Earth Bath has great spritz for in between baths.

I agree with ghggp. Its a process of elimination and the vet is a great thought.

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Forums Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Dogs react to allergies by having their skin itch, instead of sneezing like us. Your pup could be allergic to grass, tree pollen, flower pollen, etc. And are you sure the flea meds are working? Biting at the base of the tail is often fleas.....

You may need a short course of steriods to break the cycle. If they scratch and bite too much they end up with a skin infection.

5. Jams

Jams Premium Member

Sep 8, 2017
    One of my shelties had trouble with allergies. Problems started after she was a few years old, same as you mentioned with a lot of biting by the base of her tail and up. She'd also bite at her feet. She also had that perseveration thing that shelties can have where she just couldn't stop picking and biting at it and any blood just spurred her on. During those times I used a soft covered blow up collar (like cones are used for) so she couldn't reach it. She didn't fuss much about it. Of course she could still get to her feet!
    We did quite a few vet visits so that is a good recommendation! I'd end up switching using different products because one would seem to stop working. Good luck! If you find something that seems to work please share!! Thank you.(by the way my girl never had fleas. That wasn't her problem but of course always good to check. Some dogs can go really nuts over just one flea!)

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I second the suggestion for a vet visit. Your vet will likely prescribe prednisone for your pup which will help stop the itching if she's allergic. It's a med that you taper off over time. At-home remedies include Benadryl, one regular tab for a 25 lb. dog. But I wouldn't give it without seeing your vet first to make sure it's safe.

One of my girls has seasonal allergies. I've given her a supplement that has helped her a lot. It's made with bee pollen and made by Mercola. You can get it here on Chewy. A jar lasts for the whole season.

7. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    I would also suggest a vet though if it's allergies I highly recommend getting a referral to a veterinarian dermatologist as they are the allergy experts. It will be more expensive at first but can really pay off in the long run as they are typically much more efficient at diagnosing and treating allergies. Biting at tail and paws can certainly be an indicator of food allergies as well if it occurs year round. Contrary to what marketing would have you believe, true allergies to grains actually are less common than allergies to chicken and other common meat proteins. If food allergy is suspected a dermatologist can help with a strict elimination diet with a prescription food. It is very important to follow the vet's directions and avoid commercial pet treats as cross-contamination with potential allergens is very common in pet foods. It can take 2 months to see a real difference on a hypoallergenic diet and even a crumb of an allergen containing food can cause allergy symptoms for weeks. Best of luck!

8. petdoors

petdoors Forums Regular

Jun 19, 2018
    Is that a yeast shampoo? I have been using the Burts Bees hot spot spray and benedryl.

9. petdoors

petdoors Forums Regular

Jun 19, 2018
    I have been doing Benedryl when her itching seems to pick up and it helps a lot. I see an occasional flea on her so she may have flea allergies regardless of being on flea meds. Is it bee pollen from the local area?

10. petdoors

petdoors Forums Regular

Jun 19, 2018
    What did your vet say about the biting. I took her to one vet already and they said that it was flea allergies and to keep her on meds. I put hydro cortisone on her back where her major biting is and then I give her oatmeal baths, the Burts bees hot spot spray, benedryl but I think she might need the steroid shot. Ive heard so many bad things about the one that starts with a C so I need to see whats best.