Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

It's official - we passed!!!!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sandy in CT, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    On his 8 month birthday, Brodie passed his AKC Canine Good Citizen test! I was so nervous all day and ended up with a stress headache about 2 hours before class. I was so scared he would refuse the DOWN. He almost did! When it came to the DOWN on command, a command that he will obey on leash, off leash, in the house, out of the house - he sat and looked away from me staring at a window high up on the wall to his left. He would not even respond to LOOK which he always does! Snarky teenager does not realize that this momma dealt with 3 human teens at one time and is used to standing her ground. His eyes finally sort of moved to me, not his head, but I think he wanted to see what I was doing and once he broke that, he finally caved and went DOWN. Everything else he was picture perfect! He heals on a loose lead, I even showed off because he will keep a tight heal with pace changes and knows EASY (my command for slowing down).

I am not sure where we might go next. I can continue with the current training facility and try rally and or agility or move to a training facility in Newtown that has a 'High School' obedience class that seems to teach like an advanced level of CGC training with moving sits and downs, reverse heeling and extended stays per their website.

ghggp, Hanne, RikyR and 6 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Congratulations Sandy! Good job Brodie!

ghggp and GlennR like this.
  3. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Yay!! Good job Brodie & Sandy of course!! :)

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Congratulations, Sandy and Brodie! That's quite an accomplishment for 8 months! Good for you!

If the facility in Newtown is the same one I use, their trainer, Jane, is fabulous, and familiar with Shelties. She's seen nearly all of mine. I recommend them highly!

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Yes, Jane was our trainer and I do love her! They do not train for therapy though :(. I think I am going to take her Rally course in the Fall and then possibly an agility class in the Fall but that is with a different trainer. The other facility is also in Newtown, The Exceptional Pet, and offers like a 'High School' class. I eventually want to do therapy dog training but have not found a facility in our area. :(

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Congrats- that is awesome:yes:

ghggp, Sandy in CT and GlennR like this.
  7. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Congratulations!

Sandy in CT and Calliesmom like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Really an accomplishment at eight months! Congrats to you and Brodie!

ghggp, Sandy in CT and Calliesmom like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    YAY!! Congratulations -- that's no easy achievement with a puppy!

ghggp and Sandy in CT like this.
  10. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania