Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Jumping up

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Sandy in CT, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Yesterday at Petco playdate, it stood out to me that Brody jumps up on people a lot more than any of the puppies in his group. He has NO issues with people, so far he only did not like my mail lady who was wearing a wool hat with long tassels on each side. BUT, when he meets people he is jumping on them.

A lady in our group said she was in obedience and told me to make sure not to use a word used in other ways - like don't use no or down - use off or don't jump. So, if there was a word, what actions do you take when he jumps to discourage the jumping?

BTW, there was a TINY doxie puppy there that was soooooo mean! He attacked everyone, including his parents when they decided to remove him from the group. I didn't like his interactions with the other puppies and Brodie was scared and the doxie did go after Brodie twice. Not a great playdate yesterday.....

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, I use the word ‘Off’!
    It works well.

If a dog persists, when the pup jumps up, keep hold of its front paws and walk backwards. The pup will soon learn that it does not feel good. At least that is what they taught in our obedience class!

Good luck!

Ann likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Its funny but thinking about this I realize (I think) why they don't listen to me when I say off...with all the obedience I've done with Piper and now with Finnie I use 'off' to get them off the furniture, but then I say 'off' to get them to stop jumping :ROFLMAO:...talk about confusing!
    So many words I use for obedience that I then cannot use for other things...I say 'get in' for them to get into heel, now I can't say get in the car! Lol

Hanne likes this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    off means get off whatever you are on so off the furniture, off the people....
    you can use 'load up' to get them in the car- lots of southern people use that term........

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow jumps up as well. We turn away and say "Off" and get visitors to do the same. It's hard to tell if it's really effective or not.

More worrisome is a couple of times per day she'll get into a pattern of jumping up frantically at someone, anyone, sitting on the couch and barking. She gets down when told "Off" but then immediately jumps up and barks again. I'm not sure how long she would keep at it if left unchecked.

The only way to reliably break the cycle is to ask her to go to her crate. After fifteen minutes you can let her out and she'll be sweet and normal again. It's like the timeouts I use to give to my kids when they were growing up. I wonder if she just gets overexcited or overtired or both.

Sharon7, Calliesmom and Sandy in CT like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Not that I think they should be allowed to jump up :wink2:
    We should not forget why they jump up, they are puppies
    who want to go up to our mouth to greet / show submissiveness

Now I am a big opponent of closing dogs in cages inside in the house :yes:

If my puppies have been "too much" then my answer has been
    "I think you need to come outside for a moment for some fresh air" :biggrin2:

Jams likes this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I say 'down' or 'get down' - which means four on the floor and I use it to get them off the couch or bed or out of the car as well as off people. I use 'drop' for laying down so it isn't used any other time.

My obedience class atm is basically dogs that jump up and dogs that pull, you are not alone. Couple of things I teach

Usually a dog will jump on people because they do that with their owner and the dogs don't see the difference. I tell people to teach their dog a command like 'up' or 'paws' (with a tap on your leg or body where you want their paws to go) that teaches them to put their paws on you when you ask. Then you can also add the 'down' or 'off' command. The idea being they are only allowed to put their paws up when you ask, and it does work I use it all the time with mine, esp for Delta therapy visits.

The other thing is to work out the 'critical distance' - the point where your dog starts pulling to jump up, then just before that point put him in a sit, ask him to wait and then when it's okay to go up to the person/dog give them the release word. With bigger dogs, when greeting a child or small dog, I put them in a drop. If he isn't looking at you and is too focused on the other person or dog increase the distance and ask for a 'look at me' instead of the 'wait'. If he's being really silly then do a 'walk away' - turn around and walk to a distance where you can get some focus (and they can't see the object they want) before heading back.

I know quite a lot of Doxys with poor temperaments, and it doesn't help that they are small and can often have fear aggression as well.

Ann likes this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Excellent tips Caro! I think I'm going to teach Finnie the 'paws' command...he's bad at jumping up (Piper was too and has outgrown it but I don't want to wait 2 more years lol) and would probably learn very quickly! I especially like the critical distance...it makes so much sense (I've done this when outside with them...I see someone walking our way before they do and I'll start with the 'watch me' as I know it's easier to get their focus at that moment. Then as the person passes I praise and treat as they continue to watch me.
    Finnie likes to jump on my sister and as much as she loves my boys she doesn't want to get her pants dirty (especially when they've been outside and running through the mud lol). I think we're going to start teaching him on leash when she comes over using these tips, it will help us in the future when meeting strangers.

9. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    A moment of fresh air may work in the spring, summer and fall but in Canadian winters, going out is an adventure. Hats, gloves, scarves. coat and boots with wading through 30 cm (a foot) of snow isn't that easy a task. :) We have no easy outside so the crate will do. She doesn't get upset at the door being closed and fifteen minutes is not much to ask to get a calm puppy back.

As far as "Off" she does it beautifully every time with all four on the floor. However, she immediately, after fulfilling the letter of the law of the "Off" command jumps up again. She's certainly smart enough to maneuver around while obeying. She does know stay but she's only reliable with it when there aren't a lot of distractions. I'm sure her stay will continue to improve, after all, she's still a baby.

Jams, Ann, Hanne and 1 other person like this.
  10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    :lol:
    Now it is not me to be out to get some fresh air, but my "too much" puppy :biggrin2:

Jams likes this.