Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Just when you think she's tired out

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Jul 1, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    We were on our way home from this morning's walk and in spite of all the cold water she drank along the way, she kept slipping into the shade and plopping down. I was feeling a bit sorry for her until she happened upon a big ball some kid had left in the park. Gone was the fatigue, gone was her desire to lay down. It was chase and tackle and kick and she had to be pulled away. She went happily trotting home after that, all fatigue and thirst forgotten. I think she was gaming me prior to the ball discovery. :sneaky:

Hot, tired, and thirsty?
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/...111440461-4563422645653969784-IMG_2832-X2.jpg

I found a toy, can I keep it?
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/...445203--6897467606984008970-IMG_2833-1280.mp4

2. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    Willow is training you, and she needs you to hide different toys around in advance of her daily walkies from now on or bring a red wagon to get her home. :joyful:

Piper's mom, Ann, Darren and 6 others like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Oooh, that's a nice ball too! That's the kind of ball Miss Bossypaws insists on for her daily game. It must be kicked and chased and tackled. When she's feeling generous (or wants to keep it away from Flurry) she will roll it back to me with her nose. Flurry can actually nose-bat it over the fence!

I suspect she was playing you earlier. She wanted you to carry her home. How funny that the shiny new ball gave her a second wind! Very sneaky, our Shelties! :rolleyes2:

4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I am so glad to discover I'm not the only chump on the board! LOL
    Fillion is allergic to something that blooms around here once or twice a year. It makes him scratch his muzzle on walks. Sooo when he balks and goes to sit, I stop so he can scratch. Lil bugger has learned this works, so he wanted to see what was going on behind us the other day and I wouldn't go back. So he sits and feigns scratching his nose while looking behind us. His foot was kinda waving around but it never touched his face. LOL
    Never underestimate the potential deviousness of a Sheltie!!

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Isn’t it funny how clever these shelties can be getting their way with us! Love the video!
    Funny thing is that Liam will push a small ball around with his snout... bought him a ball similar to the one in the video and he ignores it.
    :(

Piper's mom, Darren, Hanne and 5 others like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Just like a kid, show her a shiny new toy and everything else is forgotten. Fun to watch her play with that big ball. I just got Meadow a softball sized Holey Roller ball made of rubber but not solid, she loves to play with that in the yard now.

Piper's mom, Darren, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That looked like such a fun game! Willow just needed some mental stimulation and she was good to go for the rest of the walk...batteries recharged!
    I think my guys would love a big ball...need to find one!

Hanne, Ann, Calliesmom and 1 other person like this.
  8. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Get the lightest kid's playground ball you can find. Some are too heavy for shelties to push easily and my guys at least quit on the game with those, but the cheap light weight ones they can really get flying!

Ann, Calliesmom, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Thanks for that tip Margi! I'll check out the dollar store, they probably have cheap ones...maybe the blow up kind would work too.

GlennR and Calliesmom like this.
  10. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Fillion can pop a large beach ball in two seconds flat so I would stick with the ones I find at dollar stores, walmart or even our grocery store...

GlennR, Ann and Piper's mom like this.