Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Justus and Flyer 2019

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by 2GoodDogs, Jan 8, 2019.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Getting ready for our first obedience trial of the year. Flyer is entered in Open A (we are like 0 for 4) and Justus will strut his stuff in Veteran's obedience. I'm neutral, hoping for the best but just not feeling the sunshine yet. Speaking of which, gloomy and gray is the norm around here!

What are you guys doing this year? Any goals and ambitions? I'd like to get Flyer's CDX and Justus to get a UKC Utility title started.

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    next opportunity for obedience/rally isn't until March. we're doing agility this weekend, couple weekends off, then I think 3 weekends in a row of agility.
    I'd like to start working on Open stuff with Cran- just not sure where to start as he'll be the first dog that I've ever tried to do any of that stuff- kind of intimidating........
    we are going to enter as many rally trials as we can- gotta get that Rach:fl

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Our next obedience trial won't be until May probably (and then 2 shows 2 weeks apart and close to home!). We'll have a few matches to participate in before the shows so hopefully Finnie can get some socializing and Piper can I can get our heads back in the ring after a long winter off! Piper is bound to get his UD and then masters and then I think we'll finish his rally.
    Finnie I'm going to work on his Rally first...he's much too leery about strangers to even consider entering obedience. I can just see the stand for exam...he'd run the other way if a judge approached him lol. Get him used to being in the ring with Rally and then do his obedience. Finnie is a very smart boy and has loads of drive (he'd be fantastic in agility) but very sensitive...needs a soft touch and lots of exposure. The two dogs are truly night and day!

4. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It's actually not intimidating at all...I find a Rally more intimidating actually. In obedience you know exactly what you need to do. Just you and the dog like a well oiled machine. Lol

2GoodDogs likes this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    maybe not intimidating for you but it's something we've never done and we don't have a trainer like you do......
    Rally is way easier- just do whatever the sign says....:winkgrin: and I can talk to my dog the whole time.......:yes:

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    You guys are so ambitious! I'm just taking Layla to Paris again. I was pretty sick last March when we were then, so I decided to go when I'm healthy. (No, I'm not rich. I just use my credit card points, stay in really cheap Air BnBs, and eat mostly at home like a local.)

KarenCurtis, Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    So sorry to hear you were unwell. Looking forward to your trip sounds great especially in a city that loves dogs! Does Layla ride in the cabin with you?

KarenCurtis likes this.
  8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I totally understand Calliesmom! If it weren't for our trainer I doubt I'd of continued with Piper!
    My first time in the ring with Piper I knew NOTHING about a dog show and aside from the breeder who gave me pointers on filling out the entry forms I had no help. I look back on that as being the most embarrassing moment! We drove 200 miles and stayed overnight for this outdoor show (just obedience and rally...I didn't even know what rally was at that point lol), Piper was entered in pre novice and he did horrible (I'm sure I was pretty bad too:yuckyuck!
    He didn't pay any attention to me and how we got 2 legs (sympathetic judge I'd say) is beyond me. Second day Piper refused to do the recall and then he went past me to the fence and pee'd on it:ROFLMAO:!

Judge said maybe you should take your dog for a pee and call it a day!
    It's amazing I even tried again (perhaps that's why I get so nervous in the ring?)

If you ever need any tips or pointers I'd be more than happy to help. Does your dog do the retrieve? Can he carry the bell? Do you ever practice a drop on recall (if you do don't ever drop your dog until he's at least 1/2 way to you...if they should anticipate the drop then hopefully by the time judge gives a signal it'd look natural). Our CKC rule book had the specs for constructing your own jumps so that's what I did...I made the high jump, bar jump (for utility) and the broad jump. I also use the frames for the bar jump as the posts for the figure 8 (hang clothes on it and it kinda looks like a person to the dog).
    With lots of practice I was able to get Piper ready for open in just one month.

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Honestly, the first thing I need to do is read the obedience rule book- AKC made some pretty big changes to obedience last year and I didn't really pay much attention as we were concentrating on rally. I have tried to teach the drop on recall for team obedience to both brown shelties but have never had any success with it. Cran wants be right in front of me before going down which is a problem with the rally sign where they are supposed to down from 6 feet away after you leave them in a stand. I haven't really tried to get him to take a dumbbell- 2GoodDogs was helping me figure out the correct size when we were at the Rally National- I had no idea what size Cran would need so we don't really even have a good dumbbell yet.
    Cran has done agility but since he has jumping issues, I'm not 100% sure how well we'll do with the jumping portions.

10. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I know it seems like a lot to teach but it's not too bad compared to Utility. When I started teaching drop on recall I just started doing random drops, or I'd walk backwards and have Piper in front and drop and reward. Then sometimes I'd do a drop but not a front, didn't want him to anticipate the drop (and believe me they learn to right away!). Piper initially also wanted to be right in front of me when doing the drop, if I recall I'd go quickly towards him and say down if he didn't do the down right away...he caught on fast.
    My trainer makes Dumbbells and ships all over the place, she does have instructions on how to measure your dog and you can ask questions if you need help but I could also her questions if you have any (I also got all of my utility articles from her).
    When you say cranberry has jumping issues do you mean an injury or just doesn't like to jump?
    If it's just not liking the jump it's just making it more fun, it's the broad jump and the high jump (retrieve over high). Once you've mastered the retrieve (teaching it), getting them to go over the jump is the easy part...getting them to take the jump on the way back can be tricky lol.
    Once Piper learned to love the bell (and believe me he does...if I put it down on the floor for 2 seconds he'll pick it up and hold it lol) there wasn't anything he wouldn't do!