Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Justus and Flyer 2020 "utility or bust"

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by 2GoodDogs, Jan 7, 2020.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    We are trialing this weekend at home club, the Atlanta Obedience Club. Thought I'd get the new page ready! The theme for this year, Utility or Bust.. :D

Good luck everybody, hope your winter weather is mild and you can get out to train your dogs. :)

Ann, Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Whooo Hoooo...
    Can't wait to see those videos!

:pop:pop:pop

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Good luck! I'm starting to question whether or not I'm going to continue with Piper, but then I think but then what will I do with him...only 2 1/2 more months of winter lol. -29 tonight with wind chill it'll feel like -40, won't be working with him outside anytime soon lol.

ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    way too cold to leave the house........ is there a shivering emoji- you can picture that here......

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  5. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Well, well, well!

Our weekend went so much better than I could have imagined! :) Well, yes it could have been better but there was so much of what I was looking for!

Before I go into the lengthy journal type mode, the short answer:
    1st Utility A leg - 191 and 1st
    1st Preferred Utility leg - 181.5 and 1st

Justus - NQ in Veterans, 1st place in Team Obedience

Okay so now that's out there...

Friday night is Novice only trials but we run Wild Card classes in Open and Utility and for a mere $10 you get ring with a judge wannabe and a "free" meaning no points off exercise. :D I had Flyer in Open. Holy Cow I am glad I didn't let my judge friend talk me out of Heel Free as our no points lost :wild card: Actually he heeled like a dream and other than a few grumbles and sneezes he did a fantastic job! He only lost a smattering of points elsewhere, a half point finish here and a half point front there. His score, pinch me!!! 197!!!! Okay so I got the first place over a super competitive dog only by choosing Heel free as a wildcard but I was just giddy about this ... not my finest self. :p

On Saturday morning I was able to push all foolishness and nerves away and showed my dog. He was great. :) So happy and proud to clutch that blue ribbon and my first utility leg is now fact!!!

I entered both Utility A and Preferred Utility on the same day, both days, thinking a "do-over" utility run would be great and I could work on any mistakes if not thrown out of the ring for training. Well, after getting the UA leg, the only thing he missed on the Preferred run was the down signal. Huh? Oh well, he got his two scent articles right (wow has that come together!!!) and did a nice job on everything else! Saturday was a really good day!

On Sunday, Utility A - different judge. Ellen Beasley. We missed the down signal and a scent article. :( Oh well... we get a shot at Preferred.

Our Preferred run was a lot "looser" than the previous day but darn if he didn't qualify with a 181.5!!!! the directed jumping was a bit barky and he lost 5 points on each send for a 2nd SIT command, but he got his articles and his signals!!!! :) :) :)

Well 50% Q rate for four utility classes, I'll take it!!!!

Justus was up in Veteran's, the only one. He heeled like a dream, got silly on the stand for exam - totally my fault, and dropped on his own on the recall. Was all good, it was all fun with my good good dog who doesn't need any ribbons, just accolades. :mushy heart feelings:

Yes, I have video. I'll get them in this thread... Flyer's runs are video from a friends camera display so warning... they aren't great but it is what it is.

About that, a friend sent me a link to this device that holds you camera on a swivel~y tripod. You put the transmitter on your (or your dog's) person/body and it films you! So awesome!!!! So is the $900 price tag. GULP. But hey, if there is any way I can rationalize it (and there isn't this year...) I would so buy it and quit pestering people to "just stand here about 9 minutes and point my phone at me."

Okay, so I go find the video...

Calliesmom likes this.
  6. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Oh, Calliesmom the RNC 2020 list of eligibles is out and FLYER is on it for Excellent!!!! I know you are on it, probably ALL your dogs!

7. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
  8. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Calliesmom likes this.
  9. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010