Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Keeping Puppy Quiet After Spay?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by MissieLynn, Sep 25, 2013.

1. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Well, Miss Emmy gets spayed tomorrow (time flies so quickly), and I have a question. How on earth do you keep a puppy (and a Sheltie puppy, no less) quiet for however long they recommend (14 days, I think)? :gaah This is a puppy who gets two 30-60 minute walks each day, loves to play fetch, and has a daily outburst of zoomies.

I do have a couple of Kong toys that I can fill up with goodies, but she's pretty good about wolfing down the contents in 30 minutes or less.

2. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    Keep her tethered to you for daily walks...

And crate or x-pen the rest of the recup period. I am gonna guess she will do just fine. I had two males neutered the same day, they were x-penned to gether for day periods, and on leash for the first couple of days. I had no problems.
    When Mia was spayed (even though deaf & blind) she still needed to be monitored, as she does jump on furniture.. she was x-pened for the first couple of weeks.
    Recuperation was a breeze,just don't give in to sad eyes...

Oh..and freeze the kongs, that might help

3. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Keep her nice and quiet when you first get home. Your vet will give instructions concerning feeding. Watch she isn't bothering the incision. My girl Sally needed an E collar. She shut down when I first put it on her but by the next day she was chasing the cat around and crashing into doorways. I made sure she didn't jump up on anything and kept her on a leash with me while in the house so she wasn't doing zoomies. If you have an ex pen you could put her in there for a while. Really it isn't that big of a deal. They bounce back really fast and before you know it they are back in action. Make sure that your have pre anesthetic blood work done before the spay surgery. It is worth the investment .

4. MissieLynn

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Thank you for the tips! I do have an x-pen that I'll set up, and I'll make sure she's there, her crate, or on a leash with me.

Fortunately the vet includes the pre-anesthetic blood work with the spay, which is something I definitely like. Wanna keep the little woofer safe!

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Yes you do have to keep them quiet for 10-14 days after a spay, but I still took my dog for her daily walks. She was her normal self the next day. My vet just told me no running or jumping. A half hour on leash walk was fine as long as she didn't seem to be in pain and she didn't. Monitoring the zoomies and keeping it clean was hard. The x-pen, crate and frozen kongs really helped.

Even though my vet mainly uses dis-solvable stitches for spays, he used regular stitches for my dog because he said she seemed very active and was worried the dis-solvable would come loose.

Good luck!

6. MissieLynn

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I'm glad to hear she can still go on walks. She absolutely adores them!

7. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Just to be sure ask your vet when you pick up Emmy. 30 minute walks might too much the first few days. I can't remember exactly how long I walked her for the first day or two, but I don't remember really restricting walks. Just running, zoomies, fetch & jumping. This was a few years ago, so maybe I'm wrong about the walks, but talk to your vet first.

8. MissieLynn

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Thanks. The spay went well (yay!) and she seems to be groggy, but doing well. I asked about the walks, and they said they would be fine if she was up to it, but no jumping around.

9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I'm glad everything went well! I hope she has an easy and uneventful recovery.

10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Good luck!

Bacca was cryptoid so needed full abdominal surgery. Indy was a normal neuter. I was told to keep Bacca quiet and calm. Well good luck with that...both boys were out playing widly within 24 hours. Fortunately, Bacca was fine and didn't rip anything.

Yes, its hard to keep them quiet when they feel good and want to play!

I would try to keep it down, but worst case, they rip a stich or two but probably still fine anyway. If they were in pain, they would not exert themselves.