Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Keeping Remy Beautiful

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Bill Porter, Jun 29, 2020 at 5:24 PM.

1. Bill Porter

Bill Porter Premium Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Howdy Folks,

Remy has lost 12 (or more) teeth in the last week or so and therefore his biting is not as ferocious as it once was. However, his nails are doing some damage when he jumps up on us, so I'm thinking we need to get some clippers. When we last took him to the vet, they did his nails for us but one of his claws is now completely black - which I assume means they cut too deep, but I don't know.

Do you folks have a recommendation on Brand and Type of clippers? With our previous Sheltie, we used a guillotine style that seemed to work okay but not great. Now I see they have scissor style and grinders as well. How do the "pros" do it?

I'd also like to know what shampoo y'all prefer but I don't want to accidentally open up some fearsome debate :unsure:

I'd appreciate any advice in these (and other) areas.

Thank you.

Bill & Remy

PS - I have to laugh at how patient and sweet this Sheltie is while getting groomed. Remy would have to be sedated, tied down and held to keep that still. LOL

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I use a dremel... started when he was young and he lays on his back and lets me trim his paw pad hair with a Peanut (hand held trimmer/shaver) and then I do his nails and dew claws with a dremel. I follow up with a final trim of fur, just in case, and give him a big belly rub. He actually likes his brushing, paw trimming times. I brushed him daily as a puppy and did his paws, even if it was a pretend trim, once or twice a week. When he was a puppy I used to trim his penis hair cuz it got yucky - no longer needed.

Start young... Kooper will eat me unless he is muzzled and tied down. I have been refused a nail trim for him at a few local places because he bites - takes two of us when my vet comes here. Brodie lay on his back on the floor and lets me go to town.....

This is what I use.... LOVE it!
    https://www.acehardware.com/departm...NZcTZysvB4RamUMYP3MaAtKBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Piper's mom and Hanne like this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    were his nails all white before?
    my dogs have a mix of white and black that is how they were/are....
    I worked with them to accustom them to the Dremel- well I worked with one of them and when the others saw that cookies came after nails getting ground- they were in line for their turn at cookies.
    no preference on shampoos but I know others here do have favorites.
    they get cookies after the thorough brushing too. I only trim the fur on the feet and hocks. I like their ear hair so I have never trimmed any ears here.
    definitely get him used to all types of grooming, brushing, nails and teeth brushing. when they are puppies, it is much easier to teach them how to behave when you are doing stuff to them.....

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Bill Porter

Bill Porter Premium Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Well, I already have a Dremel (I use it on projects) so which head is best for grinding down a claw? Either way, I'm not sure Remy is going to sit still for the sound of my Dremel grinding on his claws, so I'd like to know if anyone has a clipper style/brand preference as well.

As far as his black nail(s)s go, we didn't notice them until after our vet groomed him and cut his nails during his 2nd visit. My wife said it started partially black and now the whole claw is black (one of his front ones). We're taking him back to the vet on Wednesday so they can take a look and also clip them again. So I'm off the hook for now on homemade grooming.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I also use a grinder - and treats :wink2:

I spent some hours slowly to
    get Minnie used to it

I use a towel to cover her coat
    so that the grinder does not grab the coat :no:

Since the grinder can make the nail warm :rolleyes2:
    I quickly switch between the nails

7. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Start SLOW... Dremel off, on the floor or wherever you'd like to do grooming. I do it in our family room because it's carpeted and comfy for both of us. First time it could be just having the dremel near, or if Remy is calm enough, just touching the Dremel, off, to each paw - treat. If nervous just do one. End of lesson 1. Do it again, and again, and again. I left the Dremel in our family room a few days, just sitting there so he could check it out. Then one day I started it - end of lesson - treat! Eventually I got to touch a paw with them Dremel on and so on....

1) go SLOW
    2) give LOTS of treats
    3) always make it a happy, exciting time
    4) always end on a positive, happy, praise, treats

I have trimmers, but hate them. No better way to scare a dog off from nail trims than to hit a quick.

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I also use a Dremel but it's not a Dremel you'd use around the house but rather a Dremel Pet...I use this one
    https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-7300-...=1593518689&sprefix=Dremel+pet,aps,201&sr=8-2
    It has a slower speed but as Hanna mentioned I move from nail to nail to prevent the nail from getting too warm. As to the colour of the nail it could be that they're just changing to the adult nail colour. Piper has mostly white nails but does have a couple black ones while Finnie has more black than white. It's for this reason I love the Dremel, I really don't have to worry about cutting too short.
    I use the Natures Specialty brand shampoo (EZ out deshedding shampoo) but there are probably hundreds of dog shampoos out there lol.

ghggp, Calliesmom and Hanne like this.
  9. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Echo the Dremel 7300, it comes with a sandpaper attachment.
    I had Fillion on the table every day when he was a baby. And he's STILL a paw puller. His pretty, easy to see the quick, white baby nails almost all turned black! :gaah.
    Get a container of Kwik Stop. You never know when you might need it--I've even used it on myself when I've cut a finger in the kitchen! LOL

I think you're just going to have to experiment with shampoo till you find one that does everything you want. Dog's coats are different and one shampoo could work great here but not for you. I think after this bottle of Lillian Ruff whitening, I'm going back to All System Professional Whitening formula. Our streets are filthy and crumbling with age so their paws and legs get black. This stuff works wonder on my guys. And it's concentrated so makes many bottles.

10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper is a paw puller too:ROFLMAO:, especially his back paws:lol:...so touchy about them!

ghggp and Calliesmom like this.