Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Kip got stung by yellow jackets!

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Elei, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I was walking the dogs in a different place today, and Kip walked right through a yellow jacket nest/hive! I didn’t notice the hive at first, but as soon as I saw the yellow jackets starting to swarm around I called Kip away. It was too late. He yelped and started running around in a panic.
    When I calmed him down and examined him, a live yellow jacket flew out of his ear!!!! Poor guy! He definitely got stung in his ear, and probably on his face too. I called the vet right away, and they said to monitor and give him Benadryl. I gave him Benadryl as soon as we got home. He was still very upset and panting rapidly. He was lying down next to me, and suddenly started biting his back frantically. There was another live yellow jacket stuck in his fur!! I brushed it off and smashed it.

I have now given him a bath and thoroughly inspected him for yellow jackets. He is acting normal now. I think the bath cheered him up because he likes being cool and wet. His ear is slightly swollen and painful. I’ll keep watching him closely but hopefully he is ok.

Needless to say I am going to stay far away from that area! I feel so bad for Kip. It must have been so painful and scary.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Yikes! Poor guy - I've gotten stung by yellowjackets and it HURTS!!! I can't imagine in his tender ear, holy cow. Benedryl should help a lot. Give him a gentle pat from me.

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    We had a dog step in the bee hole once. Poor guy was lit up hard by them. We had to hose him down as there was a bunch down in his fur (they were the smaller yellow ones but not yellow jackets). Give poor Kip a pet from me I had some get me the other day so I know (thankfully not in my ear)

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    OMG...poor Kip! He must've been so upset Elei and you must've been frantic as well! So glad the cool bath helped...maybe an ice pack against his ear might help...poor guy, that must be really painful! Hopefully he feels better tomorrow and has forgotten about this traumatic experience.

Sharon7 and Elei like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I was attacked mid September, chased me into the house, went after the dogs and then while hubby and I tried to get the dogs in, the bees came at our screen door and after our cat - KNEW we were inside. Keep Kip on Benedryl around the clock for a good 3 - 4 days. He may not react initially, but may have a slow reaction so keep an eye out on him. We've always kept liquid benedryl here for bee stings, but Brodie would not take it - now have the pill form and will carry it in my car alongside the liquid. Just make sure that it is straight Benedryl, no antihistamine, congestions stuff, etc. Be well poor Kip!!!!

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and Elei like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    OMG!!! Poor Kip! Poor you!
    Getting stung by one is bad enough... let alone twice or more. So glad you got him on Benadryl immediately! Good advice to keep him on it for several days just to make sure he is OK! I bet that cold bath helped him feel better. Soft pats for your boy! Bet he will stay close tonight!

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Here is sleepy Kip feeling sorry for himself. The vet said he could have Benadryl 3 times a day.

I think I was in shock after it happened. After I found the yellow jacket in his ear, we were walking home and I told myself I should call the vet as soon as I got home - forgetting my phone was in my pocket. A moment later I remembered I had my phone, but couldn’t remember what day of the week it was, so didn’t know if the vet clinic was open! Anyway, I called while we were still walking home and of course they were open.

837B68CC-9060-41B1-8755-BE75C9AFA436.jpeg

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Awe, poor guy! He needs lovins!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

9. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Lordy what a nightmare! Benadryl usually knocks my guys out for a bit. If the sting area is swollen I would ice it and put something like hydrocortisone cream or a baking soda paste. Poor baby!

Sharon7, Elei and ghggp like this.
  10. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I suppose it’s probably normal for the Benadryl to make him sleepy? I’m not sure if he’s feeling bad from the stings or if it’s the Benadryl making him sleepy