Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Kip hurt his toe!!!

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Elei, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    :( This has not been a good month for Kip!

I noticed Kip had some blood on his paw, so I washed his foot to see what was wrong. All I can tell is that the blood came from the base of one of his toenails, but there is not any obvious injury. I was hoping it wasn't too serious, but then he started holding that leg up. Any time he trots or runs, he holds that leg up. He is still pretty cheerful and wants to play, but after a few steps he just wants to lay down. Poor baby!

I don't know how he got hurt. He was playing in the yard with Geri this morning, but I was supervising, and I never saw anything happen and never heard him yelp. However, he may have been having such a good time that he kept on playing even after getting hurt?

I really hope it isn't broken!! We have a vet appt for tomorrow afternoon.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh man poor Kip. One of our past Shelties ripped a dewclaw while playing and it bled pretty good. I'm guessing he got the nail caught on something, and it's kind of like us hitting our fingernail with a hammer - it really hurts because there are so many nerve endings there. I would try and keep him quiet in case it swells and/or is actually broken.

Let us know what happens!

Elei and ghggp like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Awww poor Kip! Nails hurt...my moms last dog broke the same nail twice. After the vet cleaned it up he wrapped it and that seemed to help. It's hard on them when they hurt themselves, they don't understand the sudden pain. I know it really messed Finnie up emotionally when he hurt his hock.
    I hope Kip is feeling better soon!

Elei and ghggp like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Pats to poor Kip. I hope the vet can fix him right up. Most likely it will just need some healing if he ripped a nail. Ouch!

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    One of the dogs in our class ripped a nail last summer. Had to wear a bandage for a bit but it did heal. Hope Kip is feeling better soon!

Elei and Piper's mom like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My Baron hurt his foot also and I believe he caught his nail the wrong way when running for the frisbee. He did the same... lifted his leg. He was totally ok after 2 days of rest. Hopefully, Kip will be on the mend soon! Virtual pats...

7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Fillion ripped a toenail recently too. Around here a bloody paw can be from lots of things, but was base of toenail. Cleaned it up, soaked in Epsom salts for a few min, put some Kwik stop powder on it and told him to take it easy! Yeah like that will work ;) Took a few days but all is fine now. Hopefully Kip will be too!

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Jocu ripped a nail a few years ago. he did have to slow down for a while until it healed.

Elei, ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Thanks everyone - it's nice to hear that other Shelties recovered from ripped toenails.

Kip went to the vet today. Good news: the toe is not broken. However the nail is ripped and very painful. The vet gave him some antibiotics to prevent infection, but didn't say anything about wrapping it. I'll call tomorrow and ask about that. I'm supposed to make him take it easy for 3-4 days. Fun!!

Poor Kip is feeling depressed and laying around. The vet visit was awful. I can't go in with him due to COVID (which I totally understand) and he hated being separated from me. Even though I was allowed to look in the exam room window, Kip was very upset and barking and shaking. I hated seeing him that way, and I tried to cheer him up but he was just too stressed out. I'm afraid he will be permanently scared of the vet now. They had to carry him in because he wouldn't leave me.

It was kind of an awful day..:( But hopefully he will feel better soon.

Sharon7, Piper's mom, RikyR and 2 others like this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Poor Kip. I feel so bad for you both! At least you know what is wrong. Not that it means going through the separation and pain makes it any easier! Did the doctor prescribe pain meds for him?

Hopefully, with rest he will be on the mend soon! Soft pats for Kip!

Sandy in CT, Elei and Piper's mom like this.