Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Kip isn't feeling well

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Elei, May 27, 2020.

1. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Poor Kip:(
    Kip has thrown up at least twice today, was coughing, and now has a decreased appetite. He was totally fine yesterday, but I was concerned when he didn't wake me up early this morning like he usually does. He ate his breakfast, but later threw it up. Then later, drank a bunch of water, and threw it up along with 2 pieces of what may be chewed up beef tendon.

Now he is acting subdued and just lying around. He drank more water, and a small amount of chicken broth, and has not thrown up for about 2 hours. He will not eat any of his regular food.

I'm concerned he has a blockage in his stomach or intestine. I gave him a beef tendon chew last night for the first time. He is also constantly trying to eat non-food items, pretty much anything made of fabric. So its totally possible that he ate something else.

If he doesn't start acting better really quick, I'm going to take him to the vet. At least he was able to keep down the water and broth, so I'm hoping the blockage may have passed. Its scaring me though!!

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I wouldn't wait too long, Elei. Call your vet and see if they can get him in. When you don't know what it is, it's not worth taking chances. Sending good thoughts for poor Kip. Please keep us posted.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I agree with Ann...I'd call your vet, don't wait too long. At least get him in for an X-ray, that should tell you if there's a blockage or not.

4. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    I called the vet, and they can see him tomorrow. They didn't think it was urgent enough to bring him in today - I hope they're right. I'm supposed to offer electrolyte water frequently, but no solid food. He does drink, but he also just threw up again. If he gets any worse, I'll just bring him in today

Hanne, Piper's mom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Sending thoughts for Kip and for you!!!

Piper's mom, Elei and Ann like this.
  6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Poor boy. Keeping the water down is a good sign, that means even if he has a blockage it's a partial one (I get a lot of blockages due to previous cancer surgery). But I'd be sticking with fluids only until he does a couple of poops so you know his gut is moving. Sometimes the vets can tell if there may be a blockage based on feeling the gut - the area above tends to go rock solid. If he throws up fluid it's an emergency. Blockages can cause a leak or even burst in the intestines. So it itsn't something you want to muck around with if you are suspicious.

Hanne, RikyR, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  7. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    I hope Kip is ok please keep us posted

Sandy in CT and Elei like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Could he have gotten something from the water in the pond on your hike? Make sure you mention that to the vet. Fingers crossed he is OK - please let us know! Poor sweet Kip!!!

Elei and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Thanks everyone, for your well wishes and advice. Kip & I appreciate it! He hasn't thrown up in 4 hours, but if I let him drink too much at once, he will throw up again. So its small amounts, frequently. I also let him lick ice cubes to slow him down. I will probably be up with him most of the night. I'm too worried to sleep anyway!

Hanne, Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  10. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Its possible, I'll mention it. But I think its most likely a blockage.

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.