Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Knee Sprain

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Abby4123, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Abby4123

Abby4123 Forums Regular

Aug 12, 2019
    I’ve had my little Tod for almost only two weeks now. He’s 9 months old, and just fully grown. We brought him home to our kitten and they had a little episode. He must’ve hit his leg on the table because he now has a sprained knee (vet confirmed.) she said two weeks of bed rest, but after a few days he was doing much better and was running around the house and up and down the stairs happily (so many regrets..) Now he’s limping worse than before and it’s been so hard keeping him happy while also in his kennel! He doesn’t seem to like any chew toys I buy him. He always limps really bad after resting a long time or after just sitting for awhile. We let him walk around sometimes, mainly on a leash so he doesn’t go upstairs. But mistakes have happened and he sometimes gets excited and runs around the house or up and down the stairs. This is my first dog I’ve ever owned and I feel like everything’s spiraling. Tips on keeping a resting puppy happy?

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Welcome Abby, so very sorry to hear your pup is having troubles with a sprain!
    Yes, we all have been there, thinking our dog is just fine and allowing playing too soon with less than a positive result.

Can you try a Kong toy? Take your regular kibble and put it in a bowl of water to get it slightly wet. Load it into a KONG toy and put it in the freezer. Once frozen, offer it to your pup. It takes quite a while before they can get all the kibble out. Also, try those new puzzle toys for dogs. Keeps them busy too. Get a small X-Pen to keep movement to a minimum! Make sure your vet knows of the setback. It is possible more damage could have been done. Not saying that is the case... but rather be safe than sorry.

Extreme restriction to allow healing is what I would recommend now. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Many on the site have had a similar experience including me! I am sure others will chime in with their recommendations too. Take care...

KarenCurtis and Abby4123 like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I'm so sorry! I learned that when vets say rest, they mean it!! Kongs are great, as is rotating toys. Soft music is calming, too. It's worth the misery of a couple of weeks to prevent a lifetime of regret.

Abby4123 likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I second Gloria that you must be very very strict and not allow ANY running, even at 9 months arthritis can set in if he keeps making it worse. My boy, when he was 2 injured his shoulder and it was a long 2 months of carrying him up and down stairs and crating and outside on leash. The vet warned me it could become chronic if he reinjured it.
    I can imagine how difficult it must be for you, a new pup and you can't let him play. Puppies do heal very fast so follow the vets instructions and after a couple weeks start to allow more activity but remember, he may need to rebuild muscle so don't let him have 100% freedom once all seems good. Gradually increase so re doesn't reinjure it. Took my boy at least 3 months of rehab and even now, 2 years later I still watch for a limp.
    Also, maybe a food puzzle game to keep his mind occupied while he's crated? Sheltie's are very smart and the mental activity can help wear him out.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

Abby4123 and Calliesmom like this.
  5. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Oh dear, sorry to hear Abby and poor Tod it’s so hard to keep an active dog at rest. I agree with the Kong, I keep 2 frozen in the freezer for times we go out or need a break. Wishing you luck and fast healing for Tod.

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Abby4123 and Wendy C like this.
  7. Abby4123

Abby4123 Forums Regular

Aug 12, 2019
    Thanks for the tips! I’ve been freezing and putting his kibble into a kong and he loves it. I might need to get a second so I can swap them out!

I’ve started an extreme kennel rest starting from about Thursday. I was planning on going for two weeks minimum and see where we’re at. His leg already seems to be doing much better with hardly any limping, but to be extra safe I’m gonna wait the full two weeks (even though everyone I know says I’m crazy for it). The last thing I want is for this to become a permanent or long lasting injury. Thanks for all the advice and support! Happy to be a part of the Sheltie family :)

8. Abby4123

Abby4123 Forums Regular

Aug 12, 2019
    Thanks so much! Two Kongs is a great idea. I really need to get a second, he eats up the first one so fast.

9. Abby4123

Abby4123 Forums Regular

Aug 12, 2019
    Thanks for the advice! It’s been so helpful. I should find more puzzle games. I’ve tried a couple, but I really need to find great ones for him specifically. It’s very hard to tell if he’s really understanding if it’s a puzzle or not! Haha

10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    So glad he's not limping as much and getting better. Definitely a good idea to rest him, I know how hard it is to keep them occupied and their minds busy.
    How about teaching him a few tricks that don't require much movement? I taught Piper touch and then expanded it to giving me a touch on my nose. Easy to do, just hold your hand near his face and when he touches it with his nose reward and mark it (say YES) keep doing until he gets better at it then switch hands, add in the word touch and eventually get him touching different objects. Great exercise for a crate bound pup!

Calliesmom, Ann, ghggp and 1 other person like this.