Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Koz gets his first home bath

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Phil Hughes, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Phil Hughes

Phil Hughes Premium Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Koz has been home with us for about 8 months now and has made a couple of trips to the groomer. We have never tried to give him a bath but after a foray into a mud puddle in the backyard a few days ago it was time for his first one at home. Now Koz is not the first dog in our family and we have never had one that would sit still for be bath, they all seemed to hate it in varying degrees. We did not expect any thing less from Koz. However, when we put him in the bathtub it was obvious that this was not a new experience to him. He just stood, quietly, in the center of the tub and allowed us to rinse him with warm water then lather him down with doggy shampoo. I rinsed him off and carried him to the vanity where he stood like the perfect gentleman while he got the blow down froim the hair dryer, a brushing, conditioner and a combing. He contuies to amaze us. What a great little fella!

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Yes Koz will do anything to stay with you :biggrin2:

- he has found happiness in his life :yes:

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    How sweet!!!

I swear that all the rescues I have had over the years understand and trust that we love them and would never do anything to harm them. They trust us unconditionally! It makes your heart feel so good knowing the bond is that strong! Thanks for painting such a beautiful picture! Koz knows he has won the lottery having found his forever home!

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Hooray! I love groomers, but bathing at home saves a bundle! I have four Shelties, and I thank heavens every day that I was a groomer when I was 17. There is a great book available on how to groom your Sheltie properly -- anyone can learn! the Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming by Barb Ross has been my bible for a decade. But be careful -- some places are selling it for hundreds of dollars! Here's a site I found that seems reasonable:
    http://www.alpinepub.com/sheltie-grooming-an-illusrated-guide-to.html

ghggp likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    By the way, you're right about rescues, Gloria. Annie Laurie walks right into the shower. Granted, she acts like she's going to the guillotine, but she goes!

Jams and ghggp like this.
  6. Phil Hughes

Phil Hughes Premium Member

Jul 15, 2017

Thanks so much for the link to the Sheltie grooming book. It is just what I have been looking for. Our groomer does a great job but is expensive and I always leave her a good tip. So, as Koz is such a good trooper when it comes to bathing and brushing, I should be able to learn to do it myself. Thanks again!

Whoops you better hold on to your copy...It is no longer available at the link you sent me so I figured to check on AMAZON, sure they have it....sed for $369 or new for $999. YIKES! It must be a really great book!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    That is JUST NUTS~
    Go to YouTube and look at videos! Much cheaper!!
    Here is a link to one...

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    We have always done our own bathing and grooming. Saves a bundle. We have an outdoor plastic raised tub and warm water now, but in the olden days it was just the hose on the lawn! None of our dogs have liked baths but I think they feel good afterwards. Koz sounds like such the perfect gentleman, it just makes you really wonder who in the world would have given him up??? But hooray, he's in your home, livin' the life! :)