Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Layla in Paris!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Chris, May 14, 2019.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Even as a service dog, Layla needed health documents certified by her veterinarian and by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. Seven pages. In French. And yes, she was in the cabin at my feet (we got the extra legroom seat).

Margi, Sharon7, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We flew Air France. See my reply to Sandy -- no charge for her, but getting the health documents done within the 10 day windor cost $100, plus the vet fee, plus the USDA fee of $38.

ghggp, Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    baguettes in the stroller.... mine have posed with cookies for pix but never sure how long the cookies will survive....

Chris and KarenCurtis like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Just curious...

How do you train a dog to feel comfortable on a plane? Let alone one that has a 6+ hour flight! Not like that is an easy environment to have the opportunity to train in!

I swear if I was flying and had a sheltie on board... I would want to sit next to you!!

Chris likes this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    lots of crate training- if the dog can lay in the crate and be comfortable for hours, then the part about the crate being on a plane shouldn't matter.......

Chris and KarenCurtis like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I wouldn’t think she was in a crate since she is a service dog. Just seems like the roar of a planes engine would scare them. Heck, I know some people scared about take offs and landings!

Layla must be one special dog with an equally special temperament!

Chris, GlennR and Sandy in CT like this.
  7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Layla has always been comfortable in new situations. The first time she went on a plane (from DC to Michigan), she just laid down and went to sleep. It's been that way ever since!

Tabitha and ghggp like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am EXTREMELY IMPRESSED!!!!

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Sounds amazing. I never got to see Paris, now I have too much trouble flying - maybe I should borrow Layla! One of the downsides of having no rabies in Australia- dogs can't travel (or they have to do 6mths quarantine).

Chris likes this.