Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Layla - The Last Step

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by Chris, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Layla's ashes arrived yesterday, and I wasn't prepared for how that would hit me. The bag is so small. I was reminded of Sara Henderson Hay's poignant Poem for a Dead Kitten:

Put the rubber mouse away,
    Pick the spools up from the floor,
    What was velvet shod, and gay,
    Will not want them, any more.

What was warm, is strangely cold.
    Whence dissolved the little breath?
    How could this small body hold
    So immense a thing as Death?

IMG_2623.jpeg

2. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    So true, the urn is beautiful.

Darren, Chris, Sandy in CT and 4 others like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    We thought of you today, But that is nothing new. We thought about you yesterday, And days before that too. We think of you in silence, We often speak your name. Now, all we have is memories And your picture in a frame. Your memory is our keepsake, With which we'll never part. God has you in His keeping, We have you in our heart.

I Lost a Treasured Friend

I lost a treasured friend today
    The little dog who used to lay
    Her gentle head upon my knee
    And share her silent thoughts with me…

She’ll come no longer to my call
    Retrieve no more her favorite ball
    A voice far greater than my own
    Has called her to His golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears,
    I thank Him for the happy years
    He let her spend down here with me
    And for her love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go
    And join her there, this much I know –
    I shall not fear the transient dark,
    For she greets me with her bark.

Author Unknown

Darren, Chris, RikyR and 5 others like this.
  4. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Chris, it seems somehow impossible that a small urn of ashes could even come close to holding all the life that Layla embodied. But her spirit lives on through the love you shared and that spirit will always be alive with you. Losing a soul that was such a huge part of your life is devastating and grief comes in waves even long after the loss and for you this loss is so recent and also came on top of losing Beckon just a few weeks before. Multiple close losses are especially tough, you don't have time to grieve the first when the second hits. My heart goes out to you on this journey of loss and grieving...it is not an easy journey.
    Sending love and hugs, Trini

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh what a beautiful urn. This part is SO difficult for me, always. When we lost Asta so suddenly and unexpectedly to a stroke, I could not stand to go back to the emergency vet to collect her ashes, and my dear friend did so for me. Chris, you have been so grounded in your loss of Layla, but no matter how prepared we think we are, no matter how much the passing means the end of suffering for our dogs, it just HURTS. In addition to losing Beckon not long before. I hope you get comfort from her being back in the bosom of her family again. :hugs

Darren, Chris, Sandy in CT and 4 others like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Gloria this is simply and exquisitely beautiful and says it all. Thank you for sharing.

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I know how difficult it is to receive her ashes. I am so sorry you are going through this.

Gloria, the poems are beautiful and very well said.

Darren, Chris, Piper's mom and 6 others like this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Oh Chris, it is the hardest thing picking up their ashes, it's so final, so real. And I too was shocked how small the ashes are for such big personalities. I guess that just means there's more of them in heaven.

Darren, Chris, Sandy in CT and 5 others like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Having Layla and Beckon at my bedside...well, I am amazed at how much comfort that had brought. Yes, I know they are just the earthly remains, but they've already become a kind of touchstone for me. I'm taking a few days now to myself, going to the Mexican Rivera to soak up the sun and recharge. I've lost two dear friends, our cat, Beckon and Layla, and I'm in need of a reset.

GlennR, Darren, Margi and 6 others like this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    You've been in intense and prolonged care-giving mode, Chris. Your trip sounds like just what you need. We've gone to Cancun multiple times, so enjoy that beautiful warm water and sun and hopefully you can rest mind, body and soul. :hugs

Darren, Ann, Piper's mom and 4 others like this.