Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Lazy or sick?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Scout’s Mom, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Scout’s Mom

Scout’s Mom Forums Enthusiast

May 20, 2021
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Scout seems to have very little energy. He didn’t want to walk this morning, he didn’t want to play, and he just wants to sleep.
    He is eating and drinking and his poop looks normal. I called his vet for an appointment to have a blood panel done. I can’t get in until Saturday morning. I hope he is just having an off day?

RikyR and Piper's mom like this.
  2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    If your weather is really hot and humid that can be a real energy drain. But I am glad you have a vet appointment scheduled for a full blood panel and as long as he continues to eat and especially drink, I suspect you should be safe until Saturday when you have that appointment. It would be better to ask for what is typically referred to as a "senior blood panel" even though Scout is a puppy...that panel is much more in-depth than the typical in house panel that vets do. Hopefully this is just one off day for Scout and tomorrow will see him back to normal energy.
    Trini

3. Scout’s Mom

May 20, 2021
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Our weather is beautiful today. No humidity and temperatures in the 60s this morning. So I don’t think it’s the weather. He is acting like he can’t get comfortable. He lies down for a few minutes, then gets up and lies down in a different place. I hope I am overreacting, but something just seems off.

Piper's mom, Ron Atkinson and Sharon7 like this.
  4. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I agree, your weather is not a factor. If he wasn't eating normally I would worry about pancreatitis which makes a dog very uncomfortable...but with his eating normally I don't think that could be the issue. He is needing to pee more frequently than is typical for him? A UTI is also very uncomfortable.
    Trini

5. Scout’s Mom

May 20, 2021
    Gulf Shores, AL
    He is not peeing more than normal, but I think he is drinking more water than he normally does. All he wants to do is sleep.

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Hmmmm, I would tend to think something was ailing him with what you are describing, but as Trini says if he's eating, drinking, eliminating should be OK to wait for your vet appt. Any chance he could have gotten into something not good for him? Plants, medicines, foods? Is he on tick/heartworm protection?

7. Scout’s Mom

May 20, 2021
    Gulf Shores, AL
    He is always on a leash and I always watch anything he tries to eat, so I don’t believe he got into something bad. He has always been on heart worm and flea meds.

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    If he's sleepy and lethargic and seems uncomfortable, I would make sure they run a Lyme test. Ticks have been numerous this year, even in areas where they aren't usually found. Can you check him for a temperature? A regular digital thermometer is fine for this is you have one, and normal temp for a dog is 100.5 to 102.5. If he's close to the high end, I'd call the vet and get him in sooner. I should add that even flea/tick preventative doesn't always keep them off.

9. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Is there any difference in his poop, ?A plugged up pup would also be uncomfortable

Will keep our fingers crossed until you get to see the Vet.

10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I agree with Ann on the Lyme test and definitely take his temperature. Could you palpate his tummy to see if he’s distended at all or bloated? How are his gums? Could he have pulled a muscle? I remember a couple years ago Piper had been running and jumping and next thing I know he’s walking normal but he seemed really down, didn’t want to walk much etc and temp was normal. I checked his joints doing some range of motion and it was his hind leg. Got him into the vet and some meds and he was 100% better 2 days later. Hopefully it’s something simple as that.

Scout’s Mom and Sharon7 like this.