Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Leash Zoomies!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by RikyR, Jan 13, 2019.

1. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Has your Sheltie ever caught a case of the zoomies while on a leash? Zulu & I were out on our morning walk, and he decided that it would be a good time to get the zoomies. All of the sudden he took off running, jumping, spinning and barking at the end of a 3 foot leash. Then he suddenly lays down in that "lets play!" pose. It must have really looked strange to see man with a dog going nuts at the end of a leash. I was finally able to get him to sit, and after brief "time out", we went on our way. Glad he was able to get that out of his system all at one time!

JacqueZ and Jams like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper can get like that sometimes...especially if I say a certain word or phrase (I'm gonna get you:ROFLMAO:), sometimes he just goes cookoo on his own though lol. Silly Shelties!

RikyR likes this.
  3. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Yes, Shelby will do this too. When we walk the river trail I use her very long leash so if she zoomies she has a little more room. She also does this when she meets a dog she likes and wants to play. Ow that isn’t fun, 2 dogs, 2 leashes and we are all tangled together. What a scene

RikyR and Hanne like this.
  4. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Mango's not a sheltie, but she gets the zoomies when we're on a walk and she wades into the water. She's so proud of herself! She just wants to run everywhere. Everyone I pass as I desperately run to keep up with her seem quite entertained.

Hanne and RikyR like this.
  5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Now and then Minnie goes crazy most when we are on the beach
    after Zoomies she digs more holes and runs from one to the other :lol: until she's got the energy burned off.

She is so fortunate that she can always run without a leash on a long stretch of our morning walks no matter which way we choose :wink2:

JacqueZ and RikyR like this.
  6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm knows to wait until we get to the beach to do that, so he walks really well. He used to do this, I just reign him in and have him sit. He used to lunge and zoom on his leash and much training went into stopping the behavior. Something would have to set him off for him to lunge and zoom on the leash.

RikyR, Hanne and JacqueZ like this.