Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Leather collars to prevent mattes, rolled vs. round vs. flat

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by kmarcel, Sep 13, 2020.

1. kmarcel

kmarcel Forums Regular

Jan 2, 2015
    Speedway IN
    Hello, My sheltie has had terrible ear mattes to the point the groomer had to shave them down to the skin. I'm trying to stay on top of it and leave his collar off when home so that the hair can fill back in. She suggested to get a round or rolled leather collar to prevent further matting. I have read there is a difference between the round and rolled and the round is better for the dog, maybe because of seams, can't remember the reasoning why.

I'm sure either a round or rolled would be a good option to help prevent mattes, but my concern is my dog is very leash reactive. When on walks he lunges and barks to get to dogs walking the opposite direction. I realize this is a whole different post in itself and I have been trying many things to fix this behavior. I have better control of him with a collar as opposed to a harness when this does happen. My concern is will a round or rolled collar cause more pressure to the trachea than a flat collar when he pulls because the pressure is not evenly distributed as it would with a flat collar? Does anyone have experience with this as I'm sure there must be other leash reactive shelties out there that pull and lung to get to other dogs? Would like some feedback about the different collars for preventing mattes as well as not hurting a leash reactive dog.

Hanne, TheDailyPainter and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Mine all wear braided kangaroo leather martingale collars.

TheDailyPainter and Sharon7 like this.
  3. Wendy C

Wendy C Forums Enthusiast

May 30, 2019
    I use a rolled leather collar that I bought on Etsy. I haven’t had Matting behind his ears since.

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    When I went to dog training classes they would not allow any type but a wide flat collar for beginners training.

I am not quite sure how matts behind the ears has anything to do with a collar type. Some suggested a product called “The Stuff” which is great to help with matt removal! I have been using it and have fewer matts behind my dogs ears.

Sounds like you could use some help with training. Please go to YouTube and watch training videos that can help. Good luck!

Hanne, Piper's mom, kmarcel and 2 others like this.
  5. kmarcel

kmarcel Forums Regular

Jan 2, 2015
    Speedway IN
    Apparently the rolled or round collar doesn't tangle the hair around the neck which causes the matting around the ears. I will look into the braided rolled martingale as an option. I saw many nice rolled collars on Etsy as well that I'll check out.

I have looked at youtube training videos, read books, tried different types of harnesses, as well as the Gentle Leader. I have tried positive reinforcement to have him focus on me and put him in a sit until the dog passes. You name it I have tried it as well as the Pet Correction, compressed air spray. It's been an ongoing work in progress, sometimes better than others. Just don't want him to hurt his neck when he does pull and wasn't sure if the rolled/round collar may have more pressure than a flat collar.

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I have rolled leather round collars on all my dogs- doesn't stop matting. it might reduce matting but since they've never worn flat collars, I can't really say if it's worse with a flat collar. regular brushing behind the ears with a comb is the only way to keep mats under control. Using products like the Stuff or even baby powder will help make the mats easier to comb out but shelties need regular brushing.
    I can't afford to take 4 to a groomer so I do all their brushing/nails myself.

Ron Atkinson and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Is there a reason you keep the collar on at home? I use martingales on my boys but in the house they don't wear a collar, I've heard too many stories of collars getting caught. I do find martingales are the best to avoid the dog being able to back out.
    Some dogs just mat up more than others, the breeder showed me a trick if the dog has a mat and to avoid having to cut it out. You take the scissors and run the open blade through the Matt (like a comb) loosening it up and then trying to comb it out. Do this several times if necessary but you should be able to avoid cutting. Maybe have a good comb handy all the time (and scissors) and just check them daily.

Hanne, TheDailyPainter and Calliesmom like this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie has really soft hair at the ears,
    so she just needs to be brushed an extra time around the ears,
    should there be a small knot then I just cut it off :wink2:

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Forums Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Another option is a flat collar with a round ring in the center of the collar that allows the 2 pieces of leather to move Independent of the other side. I am not sure what the official name is. They are normally used for field going dogs
    I use one of these for Teddy and it provides 2 benefits for me. 1.Its a second attachment point for his leash if I need it. 2. If he gets hung up on something while we roam in the field it will allow him to get out of it if he tries hard without choking.I keep his collar loose because he is good on the leash.I can put 4 fingers inside it.It doesn't just slip over his head but with effort he could

TheDailyPainter and Piper's mom like this.