Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Lepto and Lyme vaccines

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Watson's Mom, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    So, I’ve read a lot on these two vaccines and I thought I had decided but I’m going hopefully ask in a little different way.

What was the thought process for those of you who HAVE vaccinated for both?

I was pretty certain I would and then I questioned again. Luckily we had really really bad stay off the roads kind of snow so I had to cancel her appointment the other day.

For us—-

Lyme:
    We live in NY. We have ticks. We have Lyme disease endemic to the area. I’ve pulled ticks off myself in February and off Watson in November. I know as long as there’s is no snow, like now, there’s the possibility of picking one up.

A friend of mine just lost his 6 year old lab to Lyme disease and I know several humans who have or have had it.

Lepto:
    We live in the country. We have mice, squirrels, raccoons, skunks, deer, bear, Fox, and coyotes in our yard. Oh, and a beaver sometimes trying to dam up the drainage on the side of the house.

Roxy like to try to eat or drink any and everything. I’m sure all those animals have been merrily urinating their way through my yard.

Our clinic just lost a sheltie to lepto this summer. So, it’s in the area.

Wr travel. Down south. Up north. To wildlife refuges. Camping and not.

I feel like I should vaccinate for both. I know i have read the lepto was reformulated and is now sheltie safe. Roxy was scheduled to get the first dose of both together. Maybe I do them completely separate so if there is a reaction I know which one caused it? What exactly is the lepto reaction that they have had?

Here’s her most recent shot in the snow. C8F5D6C4-6DEA-4B78-AC70-A2E2297A31EA.jpeg

2. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Super cute snow photo!!

I had Kip (and all my dogs, including my previous Sheltie) vaccinated for lepto. There are tons of wild pigs and rats here, and I know someone who almost died from Lepto. I thought that Lepto was so common here that it was a serious risk, and it would be extremely difficult to prevent Kip from getting Lepto. He loves to play in streams.

We do not have the kind of tick that carries Lyme disease in Hawaii.

KarenCurtis and Watson's Mom like this.
  3. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    We have Lyme and Lepto here in WI and we live in a mostly suburban area. A neighbors’s Sheltie was hospitalized last year for Lepto for over a week. Our winters have changed and are not always freezing. I found a flea on Mindy a few weeks ago and if there are fleas, there could be ticks. We vaccinate for both Lepto and Lyme. One thing you can talk to your vet about is splitting the vaccines up so they aren’t all given on the same day. I can’t remember how our vet split things up but it made me feel a little better about it. Mindy did fine with both vaccines. The one she reacted to was rabies.

4. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    T
    Thats definitely another part of it. Knowing it’s a zoonosis and that IF she became infected she would be isolated. So if she DIDN’T make it, her last however long would have been in quarantine.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  5. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    She did fine with rabies and her last puppy combo. Our doctor has said that they can support her through any reactions she might have a heck of a lot easier than an actual infection of lepto.
    I think I’ll feel better splitting them even if it means extra trips to the clinic. Our vet is an hour away but the care my crew gets is well worth the trips.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Neighborhood Golden died from Lepto two years ago. Owner had possums coming into her yard to eat her fallen fruit. We live along a wildlife habitat also, with a creek, and the dogs LOVE to graze on green grass where we walk every day. So yes after talking to my vet I vaccinated all of them for Lepto and have not had anyone have a reaction to it. We do not have Lyme here in our area, Thank God for small favors.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I don't vaccinate for either only because years ago when I did it was completely ineffective and my dogs still got Lyme. However, I've heard that the vaccine has been reformulated and is much more reliable now, and most people I know do use it. I don't do Lepto either but again, it's supposed to be safer than it was, and you need to do what you feel your pups need.

The only advice I would give you is please PLEASE separate the two vaccines, even just a week or two apart. Even if the vet tells you both can be given together, if there's a reaction or a problem, you won't know what caused it and what the antidote should be. I never do even routine vaccines together since I've had a dog who reacted badly.

Sharon7 and Watson's Mom like this.
  8. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Fortunately, Mindy’s reaction to rabies vax wasn’t terrible, but she developed a gumball sized lump at the injection site. Scared the crap out of me until I learned what it was. Lasted about two weeks. They said next time she could take Benadryl ahead of time.

Watson's Mom likes this.
  9. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Ticks are getting so bad these days. I pulled one off watson last fall that I saw crawling on his snout. I was shocked when i pulled one out of myself in February.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  10. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Our doctor said whichever of the Lyme vaccines they use has a manufacturer guarantee that if e dog turns up positive, they will refund the cost of the vaccine and cover all the costs of treatment.

I think it might have been more the combining them on the same day that was worrying me more than each of the vaccines themselves. I think I will just do them separately. That’s four trips but we’ll survive.

next I need to decide if I want to get Watson done for both too. He is 8.5 now.

KarenCurtis and Ann like this.