Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Lepto Pros/Cons?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Gypsy0211, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Gypsy0211

Gypsy0211 Forums Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    New England
    Hi! I quickly checked the forum, but really didn't see what I was looking for. Long story short, my senior Sheltie passed from cancer at 15.7 (I miss her so much!), and another Sheltie came into my life through divine intervention. He's about four months now. Here's my question:

My last girl was never vaccinated for lepto, even though we live in a relatively wooded area. We have rabbits, mice, deer, fox, etc. Our yard is fenced in. My last vet, who has since retired, told me that standing water was an issue. Since she didn't swim or anything like that, lepto was never administered. Now, with the new baby, my new vet, who bought the practice from my last vet, is a younger man. He helped me through my senior's cancer struggle and I feel like him and I have a pretty good dialogue going on--as in, I ask questions, he answers them with explanation and no attitude. Hoorah!

Anyway, he recommends doing lepto because of the wooded area I live in. He lives nearby. A dog he treated had lepto pretty recently, and by the look on his face, it was like he'd seen some serious stuff. We talked about my senior girl, and how thoughts have changed on how lepto can be transmitted now. Over a decade went by between when she was born until she passed. I realize that this vaccine only protects against certain strains, and there's no guarantee. My breeder doesn't think it'll be much of an issue should I choose to vaccinate, as he's under the impression the MDR1 gene mutation was part of the reason Shelties were having such adverse reactions. My puppy is MDR1 normal, but I sent away for a testing kit from Washington University to be 100% sure.

Has anyone experienced any adverse reactions doing lepto? I'm assuming this vaccine is the four strain, but I'd have to call the office to confirm. I've been doing all of his core vaccines separately, so he's been to the vet quite a few times. I want to do what's in his best interest, but seeing how many dogs have died from vaccine reactions has scared me--and on the other hand, all of the dogs passing from lepto itself has always sent me into a cold sweat. I feel very conflicted! And my last Sheltie, who was a blue Merle and I swear had the gene mutation, was sensitive to everything and anything, so I'm worried my current boy, also a blue, will be the same. ‍♀️

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    My breeder said no lepto, period. So we don't do lepto, even though we live in on a wooded farmette with a stream. No problems to date.

Gypsy0211 likes this.
  3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I have 2 shelties from the same breeder. I live in south Florida, where these is a lot of standing water and a lot of wildlife as well. I decided to vaccinate my girls because I felt the risk of contracting lepto was greater than the risk from the vaccine. My adult sheltie had a mild reaction to the vaccine - what would commonly be described as a vaccine reaction (which was not life threatening in any way - more like a mild respiratory infection). She had a few days that she just didn't feel 100%. I decided I wasn't going to vaccinate her again unless we were in a high risk environment. I did vaccinate my younger sheltie and she had absolutely no sides effects whatsoever. So she will continue to get the lepto vaccine.

Gypsy0211 likes this.
  4. Gypsy0211

Gypsy0211 Forums Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    New England
    Thanks so much for your imput! We have a stream on our property as well, but we have a fenced in back yard and the stream is about four acres away. My breeder was on the same page as yours, but he said considering how many cases there have been, it's a difficult call. I'm curious if any of my puppy's siblings, even half siblings, had a reaction to the vaccine, so I may post on the breeder's FB page to ask. Thanks again!

5. Gypsy0211

Gypsy0211 Forums Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    New England
    Thanks for sharing your experience, Cara! So much appreciated. It seems like you had a mixed 50/50 bag. Was your adult Sheltie who had the reaction MDR1 positive, do you know? Or a Blue? It seems like the Blur Merles are extra sensitive, at least in my experience. And how old was your younger when you vaccinated?

I'm not a huge fan of doing the lepto also because it's a yearly vaccine--I'm pretty positive I'll be going with the Lyme, because I'm in Massachusetts and no matter what I do, ticks are an issue. (My first Sheltie had an allergic reaction to topical tick treatment, so I ended buying natural spray for her, which worked great. We also have the outside of our house sprayed.) I pulled a tick off of her in mid-October this year! Lyme disease is a huge issue here for people.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie receive this vaccine every year when we have mice and presumably rats that live everywhere, and she has no side effects

Gypsy0211 likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    We also vaccinate yearly with no issues. We live in a rural area with quite a variety of wildlife. We also vaccinate for Lyme because tics are a huge issue here, and Lyme is very common in both humans and dogs.

9. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Spirit is a color headed white (tri-color). She has not been tested for the MDR1 mutation but both of her parents are negative so she is most likely negative as well. I would have to pull out the vet records to see how old my younger dog was when she was vaccinated. I think she was about 9 months. But don't hold me to that. I honestly don't remember. She might have been a little older.

And yes, down here the weather is never cold enough to kill fleas and ticks, so unfortunately both dogs have to also be on a flea and tick preventive plus a heartworm preventive year round.

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    us too...... we do all that also

Cara Sandler likes this.