Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Liam's 3rd Puppy Class...

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by ghggp, Aug 21, 2018.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, I have to say how very proud I was of little Liam last night at class! Especially since I did not really do that much training prep this week. I can attribute it to the great advice I received from members of this forum!

I arrived at the class a full half hour before it began. I just sat with Liam as the trainer set up the obstacles for our evening class.

There was a tire jump, two low jumps, and a ladder on the floor. As we watched her Liam was a bit frightened at first. Then she came over to sit by us. Liam was shy. I gave her a few treats to offer him... he refused. Then, after we sat and talk a while, he walked up to her and took several treats from her.

She said, why not take him in now and walk around the obstacles so he can get used to them. We had the floor all to ourselves! We walked around doing heels and sits. Then I approached the first obstacle, the tire jump. I let him sniff it and praised him every time he approached it with a treat. Then we moved on to the jumps and ladder treating every time he looked or sniffed the item.

When the class started he did great over all the obstacles! I was beyond thrilled with him! We did all four obstacles three times. Each time he boldly went over them and never refused! I had the happiest of voices telling him what a good boy he was for being so brave!

Then we were going to do walks and heel. I noticed him being really fidgety. He was whining and carrying on so much I asked the trainer if I could take him out for a potty break. Sure enough, he peed and pooped! When I came back in and told the trainer she exclaimed... now that is one smart puppy to let you know when he needs to go! Other puppies in the class just had accidents!

He did GREAT on the heels too! We then did the long line recall and last week he was just frozen... this week I called him and he bounded right to me! Most of the other puppies just ran by their owners! The trainer came by and said how much progress he has made since last week!

I am so proud and happy with his progress in week three! He is all legs now!

Liam 3rd puppy class-sm.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Hanne, corbinam, Cara Sandler and 2 others like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    still super cute:yes:
    told you he'd be the star puppy before the class ended:winkgrin:

ghggp likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Fantastic news Gloria! Sounds like you've got a good trainer there. Good idea to go early too, get him used to everything before all the noise and dogs arrived! If you think he's all legs now, just wait lol.
    But he's very cute, I love that face!

ghggp likes this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Incredibly cute and what a good boy! So great you are taking it slow and extra time to acclimate - it's already paying off. We all know our Shelties are super smart, but the shyness/sound sensitivity makes it a bit more of a challenge to train. Pat yourself on the back, Gloria! It does sound like you have found a super trainer.

ghggp likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I can’t take credit for taking him early... Corbinam suggested it from my post on how horrible Liam did on his first class.

Yes, I love the trainers at this facility! It is the same place where I took Baron for his CGC class.

This trainer really understands Shelties and never pushes him. I really appreciate that!

Gezz, I hope he does not get any more leg height...
    He is super funny looking without all that hair to balance out those legs! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Piper's mom likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    What is so odd is he is so bold at home! He is super shy at the class...
    When the next class that arrives that is all bigger dogs he gets really scared when they bark! That super deep bark is magnified by the building!
    So many dogs in the class overwhelmes him too. But, he really is overcoming his shyness each class!

BTW, he loves the Happy Howie's treats you suggested!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    LOL, don't worry, Gloria...soon enough you'll be complaining about all that hair he's got making tumbleweeds around your house!

Liam is such a handsome cutie, Gloria! You can see his mind working overtime in that intelligent little face. So glad you had a good third class...what a good boy! Good job to you, too!

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    It's the coyote stage when they are all skinny gangly legs - yeah I agree enjoy the low maintenance while it lasts! I am now vacuuming EVERY DAY with 3.....:rolleyes:

Glad to hear he liked the Howies - they are super nice being ungreasy!

ghggp likes this.
  9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    So pleased to hear that he did so well! Keep it up!

ghggp likes this.