Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Line brushing

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Margi, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    An AZ breeder linked to this on FB, thought I would share...it's a good tutorial IMHO

SheepOfBlue, Ann, KarenCurtis and 3 others like this.
  2. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Thanks so much for posting the video!! Cooper’s beautiful coat has just started coming in so I will start doing this to get him used to it before he has his full coat. :)

KarenCurtis likes this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I brushed Brodie daily as a puppy, more like fun and training. I still brush but more like 2 - 3 times daily. I do have him lay down, and start from butt to front. I guess I should try him standing as if I have him groomed, that's what they would do.

I don't spray - is it a must? also, does it matter what direction the line is? Does it HAVE to be straight across like that - level with the floor if standing? Laying down, he lays his head on my inner thigh, I start at his butt and so my lines are perpendicular to the floor - is that okay to do?

Brodie is funny, part of the whole routine is showing him what we got out and then bringing it to the trash can to say goodbye.... can you tell I am about to be an empty nester in a month?

Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I think the best takeaway from that vid is seeing what the concept of line brushing double coats looks like.
    My back and I are so thankful Koko will lay down for us when its his turn LOL. It shouldn't matter which end you start on, I wouldn't think, just so it all gets done.
    I have to spritz to keep the static under control. I understand its to protect the guard hairs from breaking.
    I think the line going across allows you to brush with the natural direction of the hair growth. There's no way I could make a perfect straight line every time LOL
    She brushes down in the vid, the breeder told me to brush Benson's coat up! So I guess its all a matter of taste or belief about some things....

Sandy in CT likes this.
  5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    It's best to mist, it causes less breakage. I don't always do this I admit

Ann likes this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Always, always mist before brushing, even if it's just a quick onceover. In the summer, I put a few drops of peppermint essential oil in the bottle. It's cooling, smells nice and helps repel bugs. Don't get it on or near the face though.

7. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    This forum is an invaluable source of information and I thank you all !! :)

Ann, Hanne and KarenCurtis like this.
  8. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

9. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Added a small bottle to my latest Amazon order just for Brodie's brushing! And I always have essential oils here, will try the peppermint! Thank you!!!

Wendy C and Ann like this.
  10. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Ohio
    I didn't exactly line brush Devon, but he's blowing his coat right now and it took me about an hour to brush out as much of the undercoat as I could, at which point he'd had enough and wouldn't hold still any longer. I had him up on the balcony in this shot and we left a hell of a mess down below afterward!