Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Liquid diarrhea in almost-10-week-old Sheltie; eats grass, sticks, leaves

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Fainlysmom, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Fainlysmom

Fainlysmom Forums Regular

Mar 7, 2021
    Our 10 week-old-tomorrow little boy is a delight. This morning right after breakfast he began having liquid diarrhea. He has only eaten Nutrisource small/med breed kibble, 1/4 cup four times a day, except that in his outdoor play area and in his toileting area he eats grass, leaves, and sticks all the time. That's the only source of the diarrhea I can think of. He is quite large for his age. I think we're actually underfeeding him a bit perhaps, he's over 11 inches at 10 weeks. He has not been around any other dogs or animals. He had his first fenbendazole treatment at home yesterday morning, but that's a little more than 24 hours. He has been to the vet for his first checkup and was fine. What should we do about the diarrhea? And should we give him the second fenbendazole treatmet? Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.We could probably move his potty area to concrete if you think it's the grass, etc., he's eating.

Hanne likes this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    How long have you had him home? If this is new, I'd say it is probably the inedibles he's ingesting. A small spoonful of canned pumpkin will help firm up stool but only if it's not due to parasites or giardia. I would move his toileting area or keep him leashed while going potty so you can control him. We fed our Meadow Fromm Gold puppy, 1/3 cup three times daily, and her stools were perfect. Some foods just do not agree with Sheltie tummies - another member here had problems until they switched puppy foods.

If it continues though it might warrant a vet visit, with stool sample. I would call your vet to see if you should give the fenbendazole treatment, but I would think you probably can.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    How long have you had him and have you switched foods recently or are you feeding the food the breeder fed? Any change in the food can easily trigger diarrhea...when my girl was 11 weeks old or so I was switching her to Go puppy from Pro Plan and she started to get diarrhea. I stopped, put her back on the Purina and then gradually switched her to Fromm Gold with zero problems.
    I agree with Sharon on taking him out to potty on leash or use an ex pen outside (that’s what I did, you have more control over what they do), pumpkin is also a great addition as Sharon mentioned.
    If the diarrhea continues or if there’s no real known source I would get a stool sample and have it tested for giardia but I wouldn’t wait too long.

trini, Darren, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I would not take chances with a 10-week old puppy. They can become deydrated very quickly, and very sick after that. Trying to diagnose him yourself is risky, since puppies are prone to things such as worms, giardia and coccidia. I would call your vet today especially since it's a holiday weekend. In the meantime, try to keep him hydrated if he'll drink water but avoid feeding him anything other than boiled white rice with some baby food. I would not give him another treatment of fenbenazdole until the vet clears him.

With very young puppies, better safe than to take chances. Please keep us posted and let us know how he's doing. Good luck!

SheepOfBlue, trini, Darren and 5 others like this.
  5. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I totally agree with Ann - this can quickly go the wrong way.

Poor little boy - he's obviously really, really bad
    - does he get the same food which he got from the breeder??

trini, Darren, KarenCurtis and 4 others like this.
  6. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Puppies often come with parasites...take a sample of his diarrhea to your vet and ask for it to be checked for possible parasites...along with getting a full checkup for him immediately. And if he is not drinking really well give him fluids with a dropper because as Ann and Hanne have said a tiny pup can become dangerously dehydrated very fast.

Hope your little one feels much better soon!

Trini

Hanne, Darren, Ann and 4 others like this.
  7. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Have him treated for giardia, coccidia. If you do change foods, do it once his diarrhea abates and do it slowly over time. I am another fan of Fromm Puppy Gold; my older sheltie gets Fromm Gold and our oldest eats Fromm Senior.

I keep Pro-Pectalin here at the house just in case of diarrhea. Once I get the stool sampled for parasite and get an all-clear from the vet, it's my choice based on a recommendation from Ann. The container of tablets is huge, the dose is small , based on weight so the container lasts forever. But first and most immediate is to get a vet to test stool. Diarrhea can affect puppy healthy very, very rapidly! Hope your young one is better soon!

trini, Hanne, Darren and 2 others like this.
  8. Fainlysmom

Fainlysmom Forums Regular

Mar 7, 2021
    We took him to the vet, who could not identify a cause; thought it was sometshing he'd eaten. He ate many anacyclus daisy tiny leaves. Does anyone know if those are poisonous? I'm calling a nursery now to ask but can't determine that online; ;can't find an answer. Thank you.

trini, Hanne, Darren and 2 others like this.
  9. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Awww, hope poor pup is better now. I don’t have any further advice

trini, Sandy in CT, Darren and 3 others like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I found this online..it’s just Daisy’s generally but does list diarrhea as a side effect
    https://wagwalking.com/condition/daisy-poisoning

trini, Hanne, Sandy in CT and 3 others like this.