Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Little Luke has a limp

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Selena Wohlslagel, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Selena Wohlslagel

Selena Wohlslagel Forums Regular

Feb 10, 2021
    Luke is about 21/2 years old.. recently he developed a big limp.it would swell near his shoulder blade.thr vet put him on nonsteroidal antiinflammatories and a. Diet.for two weeks.she discoverd one of his front legs is shorter than the other. Has anyone else experienced this with your shelties? Any advice most appreciated.

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    When Piper was around 3 he hurt his shoulder and had a major limp! It took over 2 months, Metacam and Robaxin and a cortisone shot and major restrictions in movement to help him heal. I crated him (I have a large soft crate), carried him up and down stairs and took him outside on leash ALL the time. It wasn’t until 30 days after his cortisone shot and with no improvement we had a follow up appointment and the vet manipulated his shoulder. The following day he was almost his old self. I really think the vet had unknowingly popping something back into place. It still took a couple months of rehab and I had to continue restricting him to a certain extent so he didn’t reinjure it (he lost quite a bit of muscle) but he turns 6 tomorrow and hasn’t had another issue with it since.
    I wonder if your Luke had had been favouring it and perhaps it only seems like his leg is shorter? Have you thought about a chiropractor or a rehab physiotherapist for dogs? As my vet explained it to me it’s very important for it to heal properly or you risk it becoming chronic and having arthritis set it. Good luck and I hope you get some answers for Luke.

ghggp, Selena Wohlslagel, Ann and 4 others like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I've not heard of it, but it doesn't seem very far out of the realm of possibility. You may want to check out a canine chiropractor. They can help maintaining correct alignment. I swear, ours is keeping 15 year old Layal going.

4. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    If a puppy has a damaged growth plate, that bone can stop growing early and result in a shorter limb. You could ask your vet about that.

Good luck. Lumps are such a pain

5. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Thank you for this information.i am certainly going to check in to all of it.so glad Piper's recoved

6. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021

7. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Little Luke seems to be getting better. My husband returns to work tomorrow after a long furlough due to the pandemic. But we intend to get Luke to a vet chiropractor and I found one on Sanibel Island. Thank you again so very much

Ann, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    I think Luke may also have a birth defect in the leg with the problem.i noticed from time he was a pup he always stood with that paw slightly turned to the left. I know now it might have been a sign of future problem

Hanne, ghggp, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.