Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Lochiel is 14 With hip dysplasia and a leg problem. I can’t tell if it’s time ...

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Isabella, Nov 26, 2017.

Should I let my loved old dog go?

Poll closed Jan 25, 2018.
  1. Yes. It’s time.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Not yet!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have other ideas, see my message.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Isabella

Isabella Forums Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Vermont
    Thanks all! Lucky is gone. She "crossed the Rainbow Bridge" on 6/18. So hard to do but I think it was the time.... More than.
    Everyone, thanks so much for your advice and care. If I ever have another Sheltie, which would be wonderful, it will be in part because all of you made me feel secure in having a dog that needed and loved people the way Lochiel did.. Love your Shelties! They are precious!

I see that a lot of people here keep their Obviously beloved shelties going for a long time Into old age and illness. I can certainly understand. I Have a very much loved 13-year-old sheltie named Lochiel, whom we call Lucky.
    She has hip dysplasia and a leg that is being worn away with arthritis. She is kept fairly comfortable (or has been by the use of tramadol and gabapentin. I wonder if I should ask her to go much further though. She eats but not as much as she used to, she still has a treat if if I give it to her Seems to enjoy it. But I can tell that things are hurting her very much and she’s tired. She is deaf or almost. How can one know when it’s time? I think that the moment comes when for the dogs sake euthanasia is a benediction.I know she would stay with me as long as she can, until she is a rag and a bone. She would stay till the very last breath. But I think she’s in a lot of discomfort. She’s not whining but sometimes she cringes when I pet her.I would like her to stay till spring but I don’t know if I should ask her to.
    I don’t know if the time is yet. Any thoughts?
    By the way I will not make the decision solely on the basis of these discussions alone (but thank you so much). I have a good vet!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  2. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Hi Isabella, I am sorry to hear about Lucky. Is there something more your vet can do to help with her pain?

I can't tell you if it is time to let her go. But what I can tell you is that when Hollie became ill we somehow just knew it was time. We were able to see it in her eyes, it was as if she were telling us she didn't want to suffer any longer. So we made the decision to humanely end her suffering.

Hugs to you and Lucky n

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Personally, I have always chosen to free my old dogs when they start to have pain / bad quality of life - I would never forgive myself if I could see later- that I had been waiting for too long.

As a human, we are allowed to free our faithful beloved :hugsdogs to suffer - although the decision is so painful that only dog lovers understand this huge grief they leave - but we owe them to avoid pain and say thank you for a wonderful life we have had together - we will meet again.

Even when I'm sitting and writing this the tears are running and I feel the pain in my heart

Jams, Shelby's mom and Isabella like this.
  4. Isabella

Isabella Forums Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Vermont
    Thank you very much Shelby’s mom. I don’t think Lucky is quite there yet but we are watching her every day. I can ask the vet if we can up the dose of tramadol, Or conceivably gabbapentin. Vet always says “but do you want her to be even more drowsy and out of it,” but although lucky sleeps a lot she does not seem to be terribly out of it.
    Up until a few days ago I had the sense that she wanted to go on living, but she was very confused and angry during my last visit for my son and daughter-in-law and their beagle. She was more aggressive to him than usual. I think she is going through further changes, and we will keep an eye on it. Thank you for your help and thoughts. My husband allowed his German Shepherd to go on until he was unable to move and was pooping himself, but we are not going to do that now.

5. Isabella

Isabella Forums Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Vermont
    I know how you feel. I am much more inclined to euthanize early or not too late let’s put it, because I had a dearly loved mongrel who died of cancer And I had no way of easing her suffering or getting her to the vet at that moment in time. It was a long long time ago. I was a kid and I didn’t know what to do and my parents didn’t really respond. They were usually very loving and caring to animals so I don’t know why that happened. But I will not let that happen to lucky and even with painkillers I don’t want her to go on too long. I was a little shocked to see some people Keeping dogs going who have convulsions and late stage cancer.
    I would never do that. But we do have to decide at some point, and it’s hard because you love the dog of course. I’m so sorry that you still are sad about the “baby”
    that you let go but I’m sure it was the right choice.Where it’s our own dog we have a hard time choosing the moment. I think I will be able to though, and I don’t think it will be long from now. Thank you so much!

Hanne likes this.
  6. Isabella

Isabella Forums Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Vermont

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Isabella, we have a Sheltie who is, as her orthopedic surgeon says, bone on bone. We gave Bitsy (12 in January) the same meds as you give Lucky. Recently our vet changed her to Metacam. Huge difference. We hadn't used it before because Bitsy has elevated liver values, but at this point, we all chose comfort.

We work with an animal communicator. Bitsy told her she was sad because she "didn't want to leave." That's when we also began researching CBD (canabidiol) for pain. We got Peak (1500 mg/ml) from Carolina Hemp Company. But the Metacam worked so well, we began to give it to Layla (12 in 2 weeks), who had elbow surgery for arthritis 18 months ago. Bitsy is moving much better and enjoys playing ball and walking since we started Metacam, so we don't give her the CBD oil. Layla now gets it and is like a puppy again.

I respect the decisions our members make regarding freeing their ill/debilitated Shelties. As breakthroughs occur in treatment, we try to see if there are options. I agree that when pain takes away the joy of life, when medication fails, it's time. I hope this helps.

8. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I have also heard really, really amazing stories of what a difference metacam has made for some dogs. Great suggestion, Chris!

9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I didn't think about Metacam or CBD.

We also had Hollie on Metacam (she had a dislocated shoulder from falling down the stairs when she was about 5, and had pain since). It did make a big difference in her pain.

My dog trainer recently began selling CBD and she has had clients that have seen huge improvements, including her own elderly collie.

10. Isabella

Isabella Forums Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Vermont
    Thanks so much. Lucky "crossed the Rainbow Bridge" on Monday, 6/18. It was time, probably past the time,, really.
    I appreciate your message and all the caring from everyone here! She was not actually 14 yet, but had Lyme disease, arthritis, skin cancer, and a heart problem. I miss her so much... but I think it was the best thing for her....
    Many caring and thankful hugs in return.