Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

long face question

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by tinabug2000, Sep 9, 2009.

1. tinabug2000

tinabug2000 Forums Regular

Jul 30, 2009
    I have a 9 month sheltie and everyone keeps asking me if she is a full sheltie because she has a longer face... does anyone else have a sheltie with a long face/nose?? I keep telling everyone she is but now i am starting to wonder if maybe I was lied to and she isn't. she has papers and a pedigree
    Thank-you

2. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    My baby has a longer face. She will be one years old tomorrow....but a couple of months ago, everyone called her "collie head" because her nose seemed so abnormally long. Now....things have kind of evened out a bit.

3. Aztec

Aztec Forums Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2009
    Ohio
    People thought Aztec was a collie puppy when he was about six months. He has a very long nose! This picture might give you a little bit of an idea:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natashasvoboda/3765054549/

His face looked even longer when he was little. I wouldn't worry about it to much.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
  5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

At 9 months, she could still be just growing into her face.

Can you post a picture?

There are kinda two strains of Shelties....what we call the UK breed and the American breed.

The UK tend to be smaller, smaller boned, more delicate features.

The American tend to be bigger, bonier, harder lines.

I think some of those differences disappear a little once they've totally grown in. It seems to be more obvious when they are still growing. But that's just my inexpert opinion based on observation only.

6. tinabug2000

Jul 30, 2009
    thanks so much for your information i feel better I guess you start to question when so many people say something.....how do you post a picture I haven't figured that one out yet, then I will post one of her

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Well, you can join as a Premium Member - you can create your own albulm here ($25 per year, and it really helps Kelly pay the bills).

Or you can post your picture on Facebook, Photobucket, Flickr, whatever and copy and paste the link into your post.

8. granite

granite Forums Sage

Apr 6, 2008
    earth
    Its funny that you started this thread...as Starr just told me a week or so ago that she got somewhat heckled by some sheltie snobs in Atlanta telling her that Ember's nose was too long!

:mad:

Shelties come in a wide range of variations on the same theme...from tiny to tall. Both Emma and Figaro have "long" faces while Sasha and Indy have a more reduced version. Angus is still growing but I'm sure he's going to be in the "long" category. To me all shelties and collies have "long" faces while boxers and pugs have SHORT faces.

Also, looking at a sheltie during "The teenage phase" from month 6 to 9 or so they really look awkward as the different sections seem to grow at different rates. Angus looked a bit like a deranged kangaroo last month as his hind legs grew faster and he was higher in his hindquarters for a while.

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. tinabug2000

Jul 30, 2009
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL