Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Looking for brush kit recommendations

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by mf123, Jan 14, 2019.

1. mf123

mf123 Forums Novice

Dec 31, 2018
    does anyone have a brush kit that they recommend? I know you need a few different kinds due to the long hair and undercoat. Thanks.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I don't know of any kits, but you'll want a pin brush, slicker brush, and greyhound or fine-tooth comb to start. Madan and Chris Christensen brushes are good choices. You can find some good choices on Cherrybrook's website.

We just had a thread on just this topic here. You can also search other threads under Grooming for good suggestions!

corbinam likes this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We just brought our pup home but I read through most all threads having to do with grooming before we did - it's very personal preference. Some love Madan, some love #1 All Systems, some love Chris Christensen and the t-brush from CC is recommended by many.

Pin Brush - Because of my location, dryness in the winter, I purchased a 20mm CC Fusion Pocket Bursh. It's smaller so I can toss in my purse if I want, has supposedly non-static bristles. If I need a longer pin in a few years when his coat pops, I can get a 27mm but this should do me for a bit.

Slicker - I am starting with a Lawrence Tender Care in the tiny size. Chris Christensen is mentioned lots as well, these are a lest costly alternative that folks seem to be happy with both her and on Amazon. I will eventually order a medium as well. I started out our first morning together using a slicker I used to use on one of our cats before his adult coat grew in. I figured I can train grooming on the tiny, then use it for the ear area as he grows.

Comb - I went with a cheapie combo for now that has looser tines on one end and tighter on the other. The CC Buttercomb gets good reviews and I will probably buy later, the cheapie should do fine on his coat for now since I am simply trying to get him accustomed to grooming.

Then scissors are recommended for trimming hair around feet and 'poop shoots' - have not ordered as on't need yet but Dubl Duck 6.5" blunt tip sheers were recommended by a few folks here. A few members are fans of a 'bikini shaver' - which I need to look into further because I am not aware of what it is - but that is used for trimming as well and is supposed to clean up the private areas nicely.

This site gets kick backs from Amazon - read that somewhere after I ordered, sorry - supposed to be somewhere to click through here on the site.

That is my newbie, uneducated, inexperienced summary of all I read - your mileage may vary.... :)

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    The Amazon link is on the Sheltie Nation homepage so if you click the blue home tab at the top of the page, it will take you there....
    scroll down until you see the Support Sheltie Nation on the right side and click there- then you can shop away.....

Hanne and Ann like this.
  5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Just tested the new Chris Christenson Wood pin brush. LOVE this brush it glides through Angus butt hair with no pulling at all.

6. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Novice

Jan 28, 2019
    Glad to see this thread! We are interested in getting a sheltie but heard that they do need to be brushed quite a bit! I'll have to add trimming scissors to the "puppy list" lol!