Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Looking for toys to interest my sheltie

Discussion in 'Toys' started by Sophiel, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Sophiel

Sophiel Forums Novice

Aug 15, 2017
    Hi guys,
    I just got a 3 year old sheltie named Dug and I'm looking for toys that'll keep him busy. He doesn't show interest in any of the toys I bring him or in bones or almost any treats, he just wants to hang out with us, but I want stuff to keep him busy when I'm at work or just to keep him stimulated while inside. Any suggestions of toys that'll get him into playing with them? The only thing I've found so far is he likes the kong that I stuffed with peanut butter cheese and kibble, but even that he was only mildly invested in. Any other ideas?
    Thank you!!! I want him to have fun :)

Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I'm probably not too much help :no:

Do you know what his background is and what he has experienced in his first 3 years ??

It may take time for him to feel safety with you and maybe therefore do not want to play.

Maybe he never tries to play with toys :confused2:

Dug has just come to you, and may be afraid you're leaving him too, but it's quite normal that Shelties always follow their people so enjoy it. :yes:

Calliesmom and SheepOfBlue like this.
  3. Wendy C

Wendy C Forums Enthusiast

May 30, 2019
    Cooper loves the Wobble Wag Giggle ball on Amazon. Admittedly it makes a racket and sometimes we hide it, but it wears him out and makes us laugh.

Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Give him time but furrballz are popular and tough enough for most. Angus destroys them but it is his thing to do LOL

Give Dug pet from us.

Calliesmom likes this.
  5. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Benson didn't start playing with any toys for several weeks after coming here. He now empties out the toy basket.
    That being said, they all want ME to be in there with them to play. I still hope to find a toy to entertain them without my involvement. Best so far has been the Starmark Bobs a Lot and JW Holee Roller treat balls. Both are puzzle balls which require *drum roll* TREATS LOL

Sharon7, Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Dogs don't really 'play' by themselves, even if you find a toy he likes, they generally play with their toy around humans, not alone. If you want something keep your dog occupied, esp when you are at work, I'd suggest food puzzles. Meals are such a wasted resource! Rather than giving your dog set meal times in a bowl - use the food in food puzzles that take time to get the food out. You've discovered he likes Kongs, I have 3 Kongs for each dog and use them all the time to keep them occupied. When I worked the dogs' breakfast kibble was put in a dispenser: I made my own but you can also buy some that require the dog to push it or roll it to get the kibble out. My dogs' fave was the treasure hunt - I just hid food around the house (or yard) and off they went to find it. I still do treasure hunts whenever I go out or when the weather is too awful and they are stuck in the house. The beauty of a treasure hunt is they keep going back to check if they missed anything. To teach the treasure hunt you need to show the dog you hiding the treats the first few times.

ghggp, Margi and Ann like this.
  8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    As Caro said, I've never had a dog in all my Shelties who plays alone, other than with a kong stuffed with food which is really, hello....food! Puzzle toys will occupy them for a few minutes, but not for very long. Shelties are very social dogs who either want a doggie pal or their human to play with. Chew toys are good for keeping them occupied, but it's not good to leave him unsupervised with them. It sounds like Dug is adapting wonderfully to you and your home, which is great! Congratulations for adopting him!

Margi and Calliesmom like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Of course the bestest toy you can have for your Sheltie is another Sheltie lol but barring that as others have said an interactive toy that you play with the dog with is best. My boy Piper really didn't care for any toy, only if I played with him, but he loves his tug toy and his absolutely favourite tug is a sheepskin tug...he goes crazy over this one. Of course now that I have a 1 1/2 year old Sheltie they play together with every toy (and sticks too lol). My 1 1/2 year old Finnie loves toys however and will grab a squeaky toy and play with it, especially when he's really happy...his favourite is a large (over a foot long) rubber squeaky rooster...he squeaks it and howls. Funniest thing.

ghggp, Margi, Calliesmom and 2 others like this.
  10. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Treat balls saved Katy after Bailey passed. When he died she stopped playing with toys. We found our first one while on vacation with her and now she and Annie will even nose dribble them across the house long after they are empty.

I think we've collected just about everyone on the market and the girls will play for hours when they come out.

Ann, Caro and Calliesmom like this.