Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Low thyroid?

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by ghggp, Dec 9, 2015.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Just took my sisters sheltie Jasmine in for a thyroid test. She is 13-1/2 and 25.5 lbs. she used to range in the 22-24 area. Her coat gets really oily. It can be in as little as a week and her coat is really oily looking. I use Crown Royale shampoo on her and all my boys. None of my boys gets an oily coat!

Since she gained another pound in only three weeks I am concerned about her gaining weight with her small frame. The thyroid results for her came back at 1.2. They said it is in the normal range of 1.0 - 4.0.

Not sure if I should ask the vet to put her on meds or not...

Thoughts? Am I just overprotective?

Attached Files:

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    You try a very low dose and see how she reacts.

3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I don't think you are being over protective. 1.2 is really at the low end, but if your vet has any concerns about putting her on thyroid meds it would be worth asking for a second test to determine if the result is the same...Shelties seem to do best when mid-range on thyroid readings. Talk with your vet about this and see where he/she stands...as Chris has said you could start with a really low dose and she how she responds if your vet feels that is a reasonable plan.

Gloria was the testing done by Mich State? Their panel is more comprehensive than the standard panel that most vets use.

Trini

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks Chris and Trini...
    I will be talking to the vet tomorrow.
    I was also concerned her results were on the low side of normal!

Just curious... When you guys are saying... "See how she does" (If we go on a low dose). What exactly would I be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Most definitely get the blood tested and go on the meds. the meds aren't cheap, and ongoing blood testing to test the effectiveness is also not cheap, but it works.

Oily coat and skin funk are classic for hypothyroid dogs. DO NOT USE OATMEAL shampoo.....it only makes the condition worse. You might think an oatmeal shampoo would be good for a skin condition, but its the worst.

Go to your pharmacy and go to the dandruff section of the store. Nizoral is the product your want. Water it down and shampoo your dog weekly. It will remove the oily skin funk and with the meds, your dog should be back in shape.

Trust me, I've been there.

6. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Gloria, if low thyroid is behind her sudden weight gain and her oily coat you should see these symptoms diminish within several weeks after starting meds. I am glad you will be discussing this with your vet and if you have good confidence in him/her I would go with what your vet advises.

Trini

7. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    By two older dogs have low thyroid and I've learned they actually function best toward the upper end of the normal rage. I saw improvements in the quality of the fur, weight stabilized (including weight loss) and overall attitude of the dogs changed.

CJ, my girl, was taking 0.1mg once a day for nearly three years because that's all she needed to bring her numbers to a level that was healthy for her.

Discuss it with your vet but I do think you should advocate for a low dose to see if it helps. They will probably want to rerun the blood work in about 3 months to see what impact it had.

8. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    It depends on symptoms. I have two that test in that range, but neither have symptoms. Both are in good weight and coat. If she has gained weight and has the classic greasy coat, then the pills are worth a try.

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks everyone for your feedback!

I will let you all know where we go from here...
    Hopefully, we can go for a low dose and retest in a few months to determine if her symptoms get better!

Also, wanted to let you know she is on a high quality food ... Fromms for seniors and green beans. She get fed 2x a day -- 1/2 cup morning 5am and afternoon. Her treats are Blue Buffalo mini baked chicken and cheese 5% fat. She get 2 per day.

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Jasmine thyroid

Ok... Thank God the vet understood shelties!!!!

He said that he DOES want Jasmine on Thyroid meds! He said she is too low for a sheltie and agrees that the oily coat and weight gain are primary reasons to begin treatment.

So, she is going to be put on soloxine 0.2 mg twice a day... Every 12 hours.
    We will retest in one month. Apparently it is critical to do the test after 5 hours after her last pill.

I will post the results after we have them!!! Thanks all!