Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Major chewer here

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Sonoma girl, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Sonoma girl

Sonoma girl Forums Regular

Apr 12, 2013
    California
    1 year old, loves to chew. Most store bought chews do not interest. He likes real sticks with dirt from the landscape, but immediately taken away. What is something safe I can offer? Have pretty much tried every item on the market that looks like a stick. I Won't do any greenies or hard rubbery things. But wimpy chews are gone in a minute.

Sandy in CT likes this.
  2. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Have you tried the big bully sticks they sell at Costco? My Fillion is a voracious chewer as well, those used to hold him for at least a while. Sadly he burnt out on them. I can't find replacement as good as those.

3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We love stick here too! If you find something that works, please share. I have some 'Knuckle Bones' from Nature's Farmacy showing up tomorrow - will report back on my impressions. I have to be careful with my doxie - he chews and when stuff gets smaller, eats it so I buy big, do supervised chewing only, and remove before we have any issues.

Ann likes this.
  4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Stick/wood lover here too! I giver her bully sticks.

5. Sonoma girl

Apr 12, 2013
    California
    I will try bullies again. There are a lot of shapes. Will look into knuckle bones. Thank you all for replies.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I’d also try freeze dried bully sticks if regular ones aren’t appealing enough. My girl doesn’t care for bully sticks but likes the freeze dried ones. Sadly they don’t last as long but I can get at least 2 10 minute chew sessions out of them.

7. pomshe

pomshe Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Have you ever tried The Honest Kitchen Beams? They are dried fish skins. They won't break their teeth, but are really chewy and last awhile. They clean their teeth too. They don't smell real good, but apparently are good for them. They keep my brood occupied for at least an hour.

Ann likes this.
  8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    These look great, thanks for the suggestion! How are they for aggressive chewers? Checkers tends to swallow things whole if she really likes them so I have to be very careful about what I give her, but I'd love to find something she would actually chew.

Sandy in CT likes this.
  9. Sonoma girl

Apr 12, 2013
    California
    Hmmm freeze dried bullies.
    Interesting did not know about those.
    Will check, thanks.

10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Same here with the swallowing. Doxies tend to scarf stuff - they inhale everything. My husband thinks that Kooper's teeth are so yucky because he actually does not chew food; he simply inhales and swallows. Could be anything - I've seen both my doxies almost choke trying to swallow a full hamburger they stole.

I've given bully sticks before, but I opt for the braided are really thick ones and toss before they get too small. I alo only do bully sticks out on my back porch - not in the house - yuck.

Those Honest Kitchen Beams get good reviews. Interesting! What size and flavor do you give and how aggressive a chewer do you have?