Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Male and female sheltie mix sibs in same house...how to handle neutering?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by MidWestJen, Feb 10, 2020.

1. MidWestJen

MidWestJen Premium Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Hello everyone,
    If you've read my hello thread you will know how I ended up with two sheltie mix puppies (along with the sheltie I already have). It wasn't my wisest moment, to say the truth. But now it's done and I've decided to see it through even though my head almost exploded from stress the first two weeks. They are really lovely puppies, each with a special personality and sweetness all their own. I've had dogs my whole life, but I'm really upping my knowledge and trying to give my current pack their best lives. One thing I'm now wondering about is neutering. If I had one puppy I'd wait as long as possible to neuter. I have two, though, one being male, one female. I'm wondering how long I can safely wait to get one of them their surgery. I also wonder if there is any way possible to keep them apart through a heat in order to wait as long as possible for health reasons, or if that's just stress I don't need and I should just get one done as soon as I have to. I'm not sure when heats first start as I haven't owned a female dog since I was a kid forever ago. Also, if I go ahead and neuter one earlier, which would you do first? I could just wait longer with the second one... although that makes me feel bad for the one I do earlier. Arg. So much pressure I am putting on myself to get it right!
    Opinions? What would you do? Which one should I do first? More health benefits to waiting for one than the other?

Thank-you!

TheDailyPainter likes this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I would say keep an eye on them. My odds would be the male shows signs first. We wanted to wait a year for Brodie but he got done about 8 1/2 months when he started marking, then lifting his leg indoors. The female should go through a heat first for sure.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    My girls were spayed before their first heat with no ill effects. It's a constant debate.

4. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Personally, I would choose to have the female spayed first
    would prefer between the 1st and 2nd maturity

The male not until about 2 years

5. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2019
    Our breeder suggested to get Toby neutered as early as six months. Our vet suggested anywhere between then and nine months would be fine. I suppose it all depends on who you ask. My friend used to breed Porties and she said it's more important to allow a female to go through heat once (to balance out her hormones - she believed this allowed females to be a bit more maternal and therefore more affectionate)

We ended up neutering Toby around seven months just when he began lifting his leg, marking, and (embarrassingly) humping his dog friends. He is none the worse for wear.

Sandy in CT likes this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Dixie was spayed between 10-11 months before I brought her home to live with her then intact littermate brother. Cranberry was done about 13 months. Jocu and Destin were both 2 before they were neutered.

Hanne likes this.