Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Male dog completely obsessed with female in heat

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Minniesmom15, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Minniesmom15

Minniesmom15 Forums Regular

Oct 26, 2012
    Wi
    My sheltie pup is just about eight months now, and his hormones are definitely hitting him hard. He just started marking last week, and at agility class last night (puppy foundation, nothing difficult) there was a female in heat. He quite literally barked and whined the entire time, got away from me multiple times while working on the chute to get to another female (not the one in heat) and wouldn't even sit for me, or even consider eating chicken, hot dog, or liver treats. I do not plan to neuter him until at least a year, preferably closer to 18 months, so we need to get past this. I understand I have to work him through it, but I need help! I tried taking him out of the room, even to another floor and outside, and even then could barely get him to eat more than a nibble of chicken (forget sitting or any other basic move that he's known for months!) I'm frustrated but I know he can't help himself right now. Amy advice or suggestions would be so much appreciated! Thank you!

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Look, he's a teenager who won't get his brains until he's four. I'm curious as to why you're delaying neutering?

3. Minniesmom15

Minniesmom15 Forums Regular

Oct 26, 2012
    Wi
    Both my vet and breeder recommend neutering in that time frame. I've also done a lot of research on my own and agree with delaying neutering to allow my dog to fully mature. I realize it will be a tough phase, but can't be impossible!

4. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    That is really tough for a male adolescent pup raging with hormones to have to try to stay focus in the presence of a female in heat. I'm pretty sure that all the classes I have ever taken at dog facilities around here have a strict ''do not bring your dog if she is in heat'' policy, I know for sure that my current classes do have such a policy.

I'm sure other people on here can give you some solutions. Just thought it weird that people can bring their dog that are in heat to the classes. Sorry I am of no help!

5. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Put him in a monastery.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    We have a strict policy of no bitches in heat on the grounds as well so I am very surprised they let one in - surely the trainers have more brains than that. It's difficult for any male dog to concentrate even if they're neutered, their brains are hardwired to that scent. Plus that scent hangs around for days and upsets other dogs for ages after the bitch has left. Are you sure the bitch was in heat or was it just that the female was entire.

Frankly I'd put him back in the car and not bother continuing with training. Then I'd complain. He's not going to concentrate and you're just going to set him up for failure.

If he is acting like that generally I would still pull him aside, at a far enough distance from the activities that he can focus back on you, don't take him back into the fold until he focuses. As soon as he plays up pull him back out again.

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Cranberry was still intact (probably 8-9 months) when he was around a female BC in heat.
    he wasn't affected really- we were doing basic obedience stuff..... he was able to do everything he was asked...

but he also never marked anywhere or did any intact male bad stuff.......

Jocu on the other hand- he has started some marking outside where other dogs have peed........:hide

8. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    None of the dogs I had neutered pre maturity cared about bitches in heat. All of the dogs that were kept in tact, then neutered post maturity, whole different story. With the exception of Tardis, they all knew what that was about and lost their minds when in the presence of a female in heat.
    One of you is going to have to not go to class as it is unfair to ask that dog not to react to what is, after all, a natural thing.
    I guess my attitude in the face of this "late" spay/neuter is that neither dog should be the one that has to go but one should not be present when the other is there. I don't think it's fair to ask the bitch's owner just because she also decided that she should keep her dog in tact. In confirmation we can show them regardless of whether they are in season or not. I didn't because I didn't want my girls exposed to infection but plenty do and the males can become quite mindless.

9. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Bitches in season should not be in agility classes. Sorry. You can't expect your dog to work through that. I expect obedience dogs to work through it, but they are less likely to fall off of something in their distracted phase, and having a BIS at a conformation/obedience all breed show is very likely. Where you don't see them in agility.

I have walked out of agility classes with bitches in season, because I know my dog is a slobbering mess, and it's a waste of my time to try to make him work.

10. celloyogi

celloyogi Forums Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2012
    southeast MI
    My training club does not allow bitches in heat in any classes except for conformation class, which they have I think twice a month, the evening before the mats are all cleaned.

To the OP: Don't even bother trying to change your dog's behavior around the bitch in heat. He is reacting the way most every intact male dog would, and any correction you use positive or not, is going to be very confusing for him. And even if you try to re-direct his attention, it is pointless to expect him to get his focus back on you with all the hormones blowing up. It's an incredibly frustrating situation that can be easily avoided by not going to class when there are any in-season bitches present. Frankly, though, I would ask the training club why they allow bitches in heat in classes at all.

I'll stay off my spay/neuter soapbox because you can read my older posts, but I will say one thing. If you choose, for whatever reason, to delay neutering, you must accept total responsibility for anything your dog does in the meantime.