Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Male puppies vs female puppies

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Scout’s Mom, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Scout’s Mom

Scout’s Mom Premium Member

May 20, 2021
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Scout is the only male puppy I have ever had in my family. We adopted Ginger as a puppy, but she is a female. All the other dogs in my life, since I was a child, were female adult rescues. None of them were easy to train, but all of the them were easier than Scout.
    I totally love Scout, when he is behaving and when he is not. However, he is very stubborn and is always testing my authority. I am a huge proponent of positive reinforcement and have used this kind of training with him since we adopted him seven weeks ago. But his personality is very different from every other dog I have ever had in my life. His training is going well and he is exceptionally smart, but when he is bound and determined to not obey and have the worst tantrum I have ever witnessed in a dog, I always lose the battle. I am wondering if this behavior is because he is a male or because of his breed.

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Nope because it works.

Though to your question I have had 3 males. Sca was all about anything I wanted and VERY food motivated so easy to train (10 weeks on arrival). Spitfire was almost 6 months and while not 'stubborn' is a master manipulator of people and dogs, only dog that I have known that will do it for sport. Angus arrived at 10 weeks and while pretty easy to train is a fluff brain. They are all different is my conclusion. Keep up the work Scout will turn into the best dog you have ever seen.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that sounds like his personality- nothing to do with male or female..........

4. Scout’s Mom

May 20, 2021
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Thanks for the encouragement.

5. Scout’s Mom

May 20, 2021
    Gulf Shores, AL
    So how do I handle this? I am probably sorely outdated in my thinking, but my dogs have always dearly loved me but also respected me. Some have had to be shown who was the leader and who will be the follower more than others, but I was always able to teach them without their being so defiant.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    keep showing him the rules- I'm sure that he loves you but time will help with the respect...

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Do you have him enrolled in puppy school, or know any puppies nearby? He might need some time just having a good play and wearing himself out.

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I agree with Calliesmom...just keep doing what your doing, anytime he forgets just back up your training. He’ll learn, he’s still quite young.
    My girl Blueberry is quite opinionated...wants what she wants and will bark at me if I don’t give in lol. She’s 6 1/2 months old but thinks she’s all grown up:ROFLMAO:!

Ann, Sharon7, Margi and 4 others like this.
  9. Selena Wohlslagel

Selena Wohlslagel Forums Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2021

10. Selena Wohlslagel

Selena Wohlslagel Forums Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2021
    He sounds like my son as a child. My son is now 53 and a wonderful man. Just hang in there. Your pup is still a little boy and needs consistent, firm, but gentle reinforcement of the rules. My son grew up finally and now works for Salvation Army. There he applies his paramedic skills to incoming addicted persons working hard to break free of their illness. Hope and. Time will be the same for your young puppy

Sharon7, Margi, Piper's mom and 4 others like this.