Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Male Urinary Problems

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Beatle Boys Mom, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Beatle Boys Mom

Beatle Boys Mom Forums Novice

Jul 25, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Hi Everyone, my 6 y/o male has been peeing small puddles and dribbles in the house. He is very good about going outside when he needs to pee and has access to the outdoors 24/7. I feel like he is letting me know he has a urinary problem. When he normally goes outside to pee, it's a lot and now he is peeing inside and it's just little puddles. I am thinking it's a urinary issue and plan to take him to the vet today. Anyone have this type of thing happen?

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I've never had issues with my current male but my last dog (a female) had lots of bladder infections!
    When you found the pee he dribbled in the house, did it have a very strong odor? Males can get UTI's just as easily as females. Hopefully the vet will take a urine sample (I used to stop in at the vet and get a collection container and then follow my dog around the yard with a tinfoil pan...not an easy thing to do especially with a female that squats low to the ground ) and it will be something simple. Keep us posted :fl

Beatle Boys Mom likes this.
  3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Could be a UTI. Is he drinking water excessively? Hope he feels better!

4. Chris

Chris Forums Celebrity

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds like a UTI to me. Vet (and bring a urine sample; easy to catch with a ladle).

5. Beatle Boys Mom

Beatle Boys Mom Forums Novice

Jul 25, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Hi Everyone, thanks for your kind replies. Ringo is feeling much better after a trip to the vet. He has a UTI, he got and antibiotic shot and pills. He seems to be doing better already. I am always amazed at how smart these dogs are and that they seem to do things like pee right in front of you to show you what's going on...or is it me being that crazy dog lady?!
    Anyway, he's on the road to recovery and doing very well.
    Thanks again!!

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    We're all a little crazy when it come to our dogs Beattle...nothing wrong with that. So glad he's beginning to feel better! In the future try keeping wipes handy and give him a wipe when he comes in from doing his business and you could try giving him a bit of a trim on the fur that grows there. I trim Piper's (with an electric trimmer) because he doesn't clean himself after and it can get quite funky. Keeping them clean will reduce the risk of a UTI in the future.

Hanne and ghggp like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I do the same! Just did the trim yesterday! He is so good about it! Used a warm towel to clean him up!
    He has had UTI's in the past. I have never had male dogs with that issue until I got Logan.
    Wonder if it was because he was used as a breeding male.

Glad your boy is doing better! Seeing the vet was a good call on your part!

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Think you have come to the right place :yes:
    most of us - men and ladies - are a little crazy about our dogs :lol:

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.