Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Male vs. female puppy for my current male dog?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Zola, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Zola

Zola Forums Novice

Jan 29, 2017
    Hi all,

I'm new here and an about-to-be first time Sheltie and puppy owner! We should be getting our puppy around early May, so there's still some time left, but I was wondering it would be better to get a male or female, considering that my current dog, a 4-year old Schnauzer mix, is male (neutered). We adopted him from a rescue when he was already an adult and he's extremely sociable and playful with all dogs he meets. However, I've heard things about aggression between dogs of the same sex (yet I know a Sheltie owner who has two females that get along just fine). Should I let this factor into my decision of which puppy or can I solely base my choice off of personality and other traits?

Thanks.

2. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    I don't know your schnauzer. But I've had two male shelties at the same time, and they were fine. If I were in your position, I would keep my mind open and just go with the puppy that chooses you.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    go with the personality- if the pup has a good personality, it won't matter if it's a girl or a boy.
    I currently have 1 female and 3 male shelties

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Totally depends on your dog. If you say your boy doesn't have issues with other male dogs he has met, then it shouldn't be a problem. Personality will play a bigger role than gender. Good luck!

5. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I agree with everyone else. Personality is what you really need to be looking at. I currently have one girl and a boy puppy. Both have great personalities and both have become great buddies.

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Honestly, I've only ever had girls, but I've had up to 3 girls at a time without any issues. I hope you find a great pup no matter which way you go.

7. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I would recommend taking your dog with you to meet the pups if you can and make your choice based on how they interact. I'll admit flat out I prefer girl pups to male, so I was a little obstinate about trying to make two girls work. I attempted adopting another female that was 2 when Honey was 4...they loathed each other. We did have them meet beforehand and there were clear signs Honey was uncomfortable that I ignored thinking it could be explained by the meet up place the foster had chosen. I knew Honey to be friendly with other dogs, and the foster assured me Priscilla was too. We couldn't keep her though, they were rapidly approaching serious injuries from fighting by the end of the week.

Next time we went looking I stuck to puppies. A local foster ended up with an accidental litter, so I took Honey there to meet them. She got along with the mom, and was cautiously playful with the pups. Brought my husband back and we went with the one who was most interested in playing with Honey. Mango and Honey get along fine, despite them both being girls.

8. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    My sheltie was two and a half when I brought home her little sister. After the first couple of days, they got along great and are best of friends.

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I have to agree, go with personality. I was initially interested in a female but when the breeder couldn't choose between the two females I selected a male. I'd been concerned that males are generally more aggressive in other breeds but discovered that aggressiveness in Shelties is pretty much non-existent. I have however discovered the fun side (sarcasm) of owning a Sheltie male is marking. And mine likes to mark everywhere (except inside the house thank heavens) including the obedience class we attend (he'll be 2 this April so he's getting snipped on March 6th, hopefully this'll help). However my boy loves to cuddle and he's got the greatest personality, I have heard that female Shelties are more aloof and independent than the males but I'm sure every dog is different. Good luck and I'm sure whichever you choose you'll be very happy with your new dog.

10. Zola

Zola Forums Novice

Jan 29, 2017
    Thank you all! My breeder told me she'd do a personality match regardless of gender when I go to first visit the puppies so I think that's the best way to go.