Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Males more likely to win dog shows - research

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Caro, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Some interesting research for those interested in showing dogs. Recent Australian research into dog shows found males were significantly more likely to win BOB and BIG. The research only looked at toy and giant breeds. Entries were 48.4% Male and 51.6% Female.

Best in breed - males win 2/3 (63% vs 37%)
    Best in group - males win 79%

Researchers hypothesised that male dogs may align more to breed standard.

So if you want to succeed in showing, get a boy!

Smallish sample size, but I bet the results would be even more stark with heavy coated breeds like Shelties.

Research paper: https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/8/12/240/html

Stanley Coren article about it in Psychology today: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...hu38PcxYRU-usmQCOlk_cxHOjZ4tAFj5zmxATb31K6lYg

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks for this great post Caro!

I just can’t understand why certain breeds make it to Best in Show. You can’t tell me in all those years at Westminster and Crufts that there were never and perfect Shelties!

Every year I cheer for Shelties and am disappointed

8. Shetland Sheepdogs
    Shetland sheepdogs, Herding Group members since 1911, have also done well, taking home 5 Best of Group ribbons and 12 other placements.

• Best of Group (5 times): 1997, 1990, 1988, 1985, 1943
    • Second Place (2 times): 2001, 1989
    • Third Place (5 times): 2006, 1999, 1986, 1965, 1939
    • Fourth Place (5 times): 1952, 1951, 1948, 1947, 1932

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I've noticed that too Gloria. Best in Show is hardly ever herding breed. Gundogs, terriers and Standard Poodles seem to be the favourites, over here too. I just wonder if judges can't see the dog under the coat when they are a heavy coat breed. They obviously have a bias too, maybe for more 'masculine' breeds or breeds with dominant personalities?

ghggp likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I think this is true, Caro. Thanks for the interesting article. In Shelties especially, I find that typically male dogs show better than bitches. The girls tend to be more reserved and shy and not as eager and "showy" as the boys. At least that's been true of every single girl I have, with the shining exception of Checkers, who has always been the perfect show dog. Wish she wasn't retired!!! :((

Caro and ghggp like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    OK, after 108 YEARS... not one sheltie good enough to qualify for BEST in SHOW!

What is wrong with this picture!

I myself, am SICK of seeing Terriers and Poodles winning!! :gaah:gaah:gaah

kazie, Sharon7 and Caro like this.
  6. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree its sad shelties are not recognized like they should be.
    I can use Lucky vs. Lil' Lady as an example. Male vs females.
    Lucky was so active and loved to play. As I said before Lil' Lady
    looked at me, you put the ball in your mouth. Loved my shelties.

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan

I agree!
    I guess that is why I liked obedience better... if they do the exercises properly they can win first place!
    Unless, of course, the human screws up! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sharon7 likes this.
  8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I totally agree, Caro. I've seen that around here in practice. Males are generally happier to prance around whereas bitches can be reserved or just "enh, what's in it for me?" Also, I think it helps that males are showier in terms of coat and size as well.

And the other thing to mention, is it's likely harder to get the nice bitches out there as often because 1) they're blowing coat and likely won't win, 2) they're in the whelping box making the next generation or 3) they're more considered brood bitches and breeders/owners are more likely to be out there campaigning their stud dogs.

Ann likes this.