Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

March Obedience 2021

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Calliesmom, May 5, 2021.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so it looks like I never posted about the March trial....
    Jocu was entered on Sat and Destin on Sun- they both qualified so we were ready to title in Perry.....

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Good job Jocu and Destin! Very nice heeling with Destin...they’re just wanting to please, reminds me on Piper.

Calliesmom likes this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yeah- seems with agility practice recently that Destin has forgotten how to heel.
    we were at an obedience/rally trial this past weekend- will post about it later- but Destin's heeling was terrible (in my opinion)........

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I can see how training for different sports could affect the heeling. Just as with Piper I hadn’t started Rally Masters because they have a jump you have to send the dog to and I didn’t want it to affect his Utility.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    our Master rally jump is leaving them on a sit about 8 ft from the jump and then calling them to a front on the other side.
    In Excellent, there is a sign- send to the jump where you have to stay 3 ft to the side of the jump and send them over the jump from 10 ft before the jump. you can move forward but can't pass the plane of the jump until the dog has returned to heel position.....

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I think we have both types of jumps in ours. That’s why I didn’t train them, that and change of positions (in Open)...too many dogs we’re screwing up their signals.

Calliesmom likes this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    those 2 are the challenging jump signs- there's also the Advanced jump sign- send over jump while handler passes by.
    seems that the change to how signals are done now messed up a lot of dogs that knew them the old way.

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Signals in Utility here didn’t change but in open rather than doing the out of sight stays you have the option of doing change of position and a 1 minute sit stay. Signals is always down, sit and front. I know some say to change up the training in signals but why would you...it never changes. Of course the dog will anticipate but then they anticipate everything:ROFLMAO:.

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Kismet thoroughly enjoyed watching Destin (although it could have been the sound of the dog whimpering in the background).

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    out of sight stays were dropped as well- they added some stuff like sit or stand dog in ring while handler walks to ring gate and gets leash, wait for judge to say return to dog....
    not sure what else changed- I'd never competed in open just watched at shows........

Piper's mom likes this.