Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Marking before heat cycle

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Caro, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Hoping to get advice from those with intact bitches.

Kis is peeing in the house again - in front of the tv, as she has done before. She's done it twice today alone. She is overdue for a heat cycle so I'm wondering if the marking in the house is related to her being intact and it's worsening with the hormones. I'm ready to throttle her - should I be putting pants on her - she's so quick I don't catch her doing it. In the meantime, she still doesn't pee on walks.

And not really a question, but I noticed from previous heat cycle that Kis gets skittish before she goes into heat. Then when she goes into heat she gets more confident.

She will be spay now she is not being shown, research last year suggested avoiding between 1-2yrs of age. But if spaying fixes the peeing in the house maybe we should go earlier (she also needs a tooth out).

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I've never had any of my girls pee before heat cycles, although I can't say it isn't related. They get squirrely before heat seasons and all react differently. If you know she doesn't have a UTI, it's more likely behavior related.

Our protocol here is not to spay for two months after a heat cycle until the uterus closes up, unless there's danger of pyo. But you should be able to spay her then...I've only heard of waiting to spay until they've had at least one cycle.

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I wasn't planning on desexing until she was 2 as I expected to show her. Now I'm just waiting for Tully to get better. Kis also needs a tooth removed so I figured I'd do both surgeries together. That research last year found in Shelties UTIs were more common in bitches spay between 1-2 years. I don't have a problem with waiting until she is 2 yrs - but the peeing on the carpet every day is driving me nuts. She's not showing any signs of a UTI, bit too broke atm thanks to vet bills.

Ann and Sharon7 like this.
  4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie has not done so - but her mood became sad

Sharon7, Caro and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    When I researched signs a female going into heat, it was one of the possible warning signs or at least asking to go outside more was. I am no heat expert in live practicum though.

Piper's mom and Caro like this.