Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Martingale collar

Discussion in 'Clothing, Leashes & Collars' started by Sandy in CT, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    As mentioned yesterday, my outing with Brodie made me realize I want something more for when we are in public. I was looking at a Ruff-wear harness but I pulled out this martingale collar that I purchased months ago and tried it this morning. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HSNDPS0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did like it, he walked very well on it - loose lead healing the whole time. I like that I can leave it attached to his leash when not in use and snap it on/off. I am not a 100% fan of the adjustment of the collar, but am a fan of the locking clasp which I discovered when I tried to take it off him. It clattered a bit on his dog tags while walking, a peeve, but next walk I will try it behind his flat collar.

Any suggestions for a better martingale? I guess it's just my fear of being in a bad situation and having something fail on me.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I totally get it Sandy!

I have tried the martingale without the buckle snap and today Beau slipped out of it. Thank goodness it happened when we were on the porch and just beginning our walk so he just stood there until I put it back on!

Liam on the other hand is such a flight risk that I use a choke collar that is barely able to go over his head and fits tightly if he tries to bolt! And strange sounds or quick motions set him off. He has a harness too.

He just can not be trusted which is why the choke collar is my go to when walking. I do training with him on walks which is why I don’t use the harness.

Shelties are so hard to fit with all that hair! They can easily pull backwards and get out of their collars! My worst fear with Liam.

For security reasons a tightly fit choke collar is my go to. Baron and Beau are fine with the Martingale without the snap closure.

Sharon7 likes this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Same here with Elijah, Gloria, although he is not nearly as skittish as when we first got him. That very first afternoon, we took him for a walk with Brooke and Faith, and around a blind corner came our neighbor with her little Chihuahua mix dog who is fearful, and shows it by lunging growling and barking at new dogs he doesn't know. Well it terrified poor Eli and if I hadn't had the choke collar on him he would have been gone. And, we were right next to a semi-busy street. He lunged sideways and pulled like crazy backwards - he would have been out of even a martingale for sure. Almost made my heart stop. Thank God I am an experienced Sheltie owner and knew to have him on the choke chain until he got used to his new home.

The other owner felt terrible, but neither of us saw the other one coming. Ironically, Eli and Lucky are now good friends.

I also use a soft slip collar which is not quite as harsh as the chain choke collar. It is soft round nylon material - I got it at a dog show.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Thank you for your input! I have seen the round nylon slip collar at a breeder's that helped me with Brodie's ears months ago. She too, got hers at a show. Guess I will have to get my bum to a show! I do have both a micro prong collar and a 'training' collar - trainers here get VERY uptight if you refer to them as 'choke' collars. But each of my trainers have one or the other and is adamant against the one they do not use. My trail trainer does not like choke collars but likes a properly sized micro prong. Used properly, the dog should never pull as they are trained to the lose lead heel. My obedience trainer uses a choke collar for level 1 and 2 obedience and believes the same thing; dog is trained to a lose lead heel.

I did order a different type of martingale to try out, has the same nylon the collar is made from so does not have that chain part. And I also ordered a Cetacea step in harness. Hoping I would be able to clip the harness and collar together - we shall see.

I guess I worry a lot - get it from my dad! At the walk, I was thinking of this dog that was lost here for weeks after the family took him to the fireworks and he slipped out of his harness. Brodie does freak over fireworks - it just made me think that you never know where you might run across something that freaks your pupper out. I want to cover my bases!

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    You are a wise woman to error on the side of caution!

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I have a Martingale slip collar (nylon and metal links) but it's never come off of either Piper or Finnie, and there have been times when Finnie backed up suddenly. Perhaps Gloria the collar was either too big for Beau or it wasn't adjusted enough? The purpose of the martingale is that it shouldn't slip off but will still protect the neck (regular chokes can injure the neck if the dog tends to pull). You'd be amazed Sandy at the number of different dog related things you can buy at a show!