Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Meadow is limping

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I know, I know, we all said ENOUGH with limping dogs. We were doing our normal walk on the bluffs this morning, Meadow running and jumping, when suddenly she was 3 legged. I saw a small cut on the big pad of her left hind foot but it seemed small and I couldn't tell if it was fresh. I was most worried about ACL tear.

We had to carry her back to the truck and take them all home. Texted our friend who is our retired vet, sent a video. He said either ACL or she's a wuss about a cut pad. I palpated her whole leg and knee and the only place she reacted was actually her toes. We are taking her to his house tomorrow so he can do a quick physical exam. Our vet is on vacation until next month.

Poor baby. I just now soaked her foot in ice water for 10 minutes, and she was so good about it. I do think it helped as she put weight on the foot while it was in the water. I checked the pad again, and what was a cut is now a divot! I didn't see her chew on it so I have no idea why it changed. It's not quite the size of a pencil eraser.

I'm gonna put on some Neosporin and wrap her foot to keep it clean. Anyone dealt with pad injuries? I would imagine it takes a good while to heal. Just so long as it's not her knee, I'll be happy. Honestly it's always something. It's awful to see her carrying her leg up and hopping around!

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I’m so sorry for poor Meadow and you! It sounds like you did the right thing. Keep it clean and covered if she’ll let you. Paw and pad injuries are tough because it’s so easy for the dog to noodle at them. Vet wrap is your best bet till the vet can look at it. Hopefully it won’t need more than that. Let us know and give her a pat for me!

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I wrapped her foot with gauze and "No Chew" vet wrap. She was really good about it - at first. And it seemed like she was doing more toe-touching with the bandage. Then while we were eating dinner she snuck off down the hall and unwrapped the whole thing, thank you very much. She isn't chewing on her foot, but I wanted to keep it clean and cushioned. :rolleyes2:

Ann, Sandy in CT, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Awww poor girl! Piper cut a pad couple years ago. Like Meadow he also tried to get the vet wrap off! The cut wasn’t too deep so he got no stitches (piece of glass someone threw in my yard...grrr) and I used polysporin after the vet wrap came off. It healed quite quick, maybe a week or so of watching and changing bandage and then following week just making sure he didn’t lick it too much and really he didn’t bother with it much at all.
    Get better quick Meadow!

trini, Sharon7, Ann and 2 others like this.
  5. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Aw geez. When I saw limp I said oh no not another one!! Well at least you know what is wrong--small comfort I know. You know what you have to do as best you can. She'll be good to go soon!

trini, Sharon7, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  6. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Paw pad cuts can be really painful and would account for Meadow's unwillingness to put that foot down at times. Hopefully this is not the ACL, but ti sounds like the paw is the issue. As everyone has already said, keeping it clean and stopping her from fussing at it is the most important thing you can do so it heals quickly. So sorry. :(
    Trini

RikyR, Sharon7, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Poor Meadow! I hope it is an issue that can be easily mended!
    When my boys had a paw injury I got a children’s small sock and used medical tape to attach to their leg. Some of it overlapped the fur so it would stay on. Let us know how she progresses! Soft pats to our Meadow!

8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    No advice but was like 'oh NO!' when I read your title! Hope it is not something serious!

Heal up Meadow!!!! Feel better!!!!

9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    And the answer is.... two (likely) sprained toes, one cut on paw pad. He didn't think there was a break, since there is almost no swelling. Knee is perfectly fine. I am so relieved. Rest and anti-inflammatory. She won't be able to try the Fast CAT next month like we planned on. So she just tweaked her toes while running - there were some ruts on that path and obviously some sharp rock or something as well. Phew. I just REALLY didn't want it to be her knee!

Sandy in CT, RikyR, Ann and 3 others like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Poor Meadow but great news that it’s not her knee!
    Any idea how long until it heals?