Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Meet Beau

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Edward Abbot, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Edward Abbot

Edward Abbot Forums Novice

Oct 9, 2020
    Leesburg, VA
    Beau Dylan ("Beau") is our 17-month Tri-Color male who loves to go on long walks and play, particularly chasing laser pointers. Unfortunately, his peak time for playing is between 9-10 PM. He is our second sheltie. We previously had a 9-year old tri-color male, Cody. We tragically lost him to aggressive cancer at only 9 years old. We first were introduced to Shelties after my parents adopted a Sheltie and we liked her gentle nature with our young children.

-Ed Abbot

Wendy C, DianeP, KarenCurtis and 6 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Welcome, Ed and Beau!
    So sorry to hear of the loss of Cody to cancer. I also lost one of my boys to cancer as well.
    Would love to hear more about Beau! I also have a Beau as well! High paw from my Beau to yours!
    Please feel free to send links from any photo sharing website! We love pictures!

Wendy C, KarenCurtis, Darren and 2 others like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Welcome to SN, a great community of Sheltie lovers. We'd love to see a photo of your Beau. I have 3 myself, Faith a tri, (8) Elijah a sable (3) and Meadow a sable Merle, 8 months old.

4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    YMMV might vary but be careful with the laser. When I had Sca he would chase it out in the yard. GREAT way to tire him but he quickly became obsessive and every time he went out was looking for the red dot. I had to stop using it (after a week or so his obsession went away)

Hanne, Darren, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, great point! Making the dog become obsessed is the last thing you want!

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
  7. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    But I am sure it varies by dog. Sca was super fetch oriented. Angus would probably be "why is that dot on me, now PET MEEEEEEE!"

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Welcome Beau and Ed!
    Yes, we love pictures!
    I agree about the pointers...dogs (and cats) can become obsessive to the light from the pointer and then attack any light. I've read stories of dogs that became crazy insane (to the point of attacking the window) in an attempt to get the light.
    Here's an interesting article by the AKC...perhaps a flirt pole can help Beau expend some energy but have fun too?
    https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/laser-pointers-more-frustration-than-fun/

Hanne, KarenCurtis and Darren like this.
  9. Edward Abbot

Edward Abbot Forums Novice

Oct 9, 2020
    Leesburg, VA
    Thanks for the info. on the laser pointers. I'll have to forgo that activity. It may explain his recent fear of shadows. I have always taken him for early morning walks, often while it is still dark, and he has been fearful of his own shadow from streetlights over the past few months or so. Perhaps the laser light is the culprit.

10. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Not a guaranteed issue just monitor how obsessed he gets.

ghggp, Piper's mom and Darren like this.