Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Meet Tyrone!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Roberta, Jun 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Roberta

Roberta Premium Member

Apr 26, 2013
    I just got a new sheltie puppy - a little blue merle boy named Tyrone. I currently have 2 other shelties, a 12 1/2 year old male and a 3 year old female. They are all getting along nicely. Its fun to have a puppy again - although they are a lot of work! Here is a picture of the little guy.

http://www.coulthart.com/ty.jpg

I have been feeding him Purina Pro Plan Puppy Chow chicken and rice, 3 times a day, 1/3 cup each feeding. He usually finishes this and looks for more, so I've been increasing it to about 1/2 cup 3 times a day. Does this seem like the right amount for a 10 week old puppy who weighs about 9 pounds?

Roberta

corbinam, Hanne, Darren and 11 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I was feeding the same food (until I switched to Fromm Gold Puppy) when Meadow came home at 8 weeks old, I also did 1/3 cup 3 times daily and that seemed fine for her. My vet said if they still seem hungry, they need more. Each food has different calorie content so it's hard to compare but Meadow is now on 1/2 cup twice daily and she is 5 months old. I just didn't like the fact that the Pro Plan puppy has corn in 3 different forms in the formula.

Tyrone is super cute! Puppies are TONS of work but so much joy. We hadn't had a pup in 20 years!

Enjoy your new family addition!

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Also depends if you're treating during the day.

Kismet is on Royal Canin puppy, she's 3.6kg (I think that's similar) and gets 1/4 cup twice a day and 1 wet satchet, plus she gets half a boiled egg. I've just upped it a little, but need to be careful as we're doing training now so she's sometimes getting treats.

I actually like Purina Pro Plan. Della is on the adult and her coat looks beautiful and shiny. I think I'll switch Kismet to it when she goes on to adult, not going to worry about switching puppy food, it's not worth it when the poops are good.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    It is fun to have a puppy, even with the toilet training. How's your older dog getting along?

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Congratulations on the new puppy! Tyrone is SOOOO cute! Hope to see LOADS of puppy pics!

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Congratulations on the puppy! Tyrone is a handsome lad!

KarenCurtis, Roberta and ghggp like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    What a cutie patootie Tyrone is!!! Cubby puppy so full is f fluff... just want to hug him!
    Congrats and virtual hugs!!!!

Piper's mom and Roberta like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    he is flooofy- very huggable- suuuuper cuuute:yes:

Piper's mom, Roberta and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Roberta

Roberta Premium Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies. I was going to feed him Fromm or one of the other premium puppy foods, but most of them are grain free. After all the issues with grain free foods I decided to go with Pro Plan. All 3 dogs are getting along nicely. At first my 12 year old male didn't want much to do with him, but he is getting much better. I was a bit worried about the 3 year old female, but they really seemed to hit it off and spend a lot of time chasing each other around the yard.

The "pee" situation hasn't been too bad. He wants to mimic the older dogs so he mostly goes outside, although he has had a coupe of accidents in his play pen area. I am trying to keep him on a schedule, taking him out every 2 hours. I'll increase that as he gets older. He does OK in his crate at night, waking up about 6 AM or so, when he immediately goes out.

He is definitely the furriest of my 3 shelties - and the other 2 aren't slouches in the fur department either. I wonder how many vacuum cleaners they are going to kill.

Roberta

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    All of your pups are gorgeous! Congratulations on Tyrone and welcome! :)

Piper's mom, Roberta and Sharon7 like this.