Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Melli is on the injured list -- ideas please

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Mom2Melli, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    What a 24 hours! Yesterday at 4 PM the UPS guy came and Melli bolted onto the fenced/gated front deck. She has this funky back toenail that grows kind of sideways. Yes, torn! Blood everywhere. Quickstop? Can't find it. Husband comes home and I muzzle her and he holds her and we get a bit of cornstarch on it. It slows down and she licks it on and off all night. First thing in the morning I am calling vet. Yep. Booked. I am telling them she is still bleeding intermittently. They tell me come (over an hour away). Arrive and she is bleeding. Had to carry her chubby self in and she wouldn't let me put her down. The vet comes in and she is bleeding on the table. Reversible anesthetic, antibiotic shot, and he clipped and cauterized all her nails for me. Her quicks are really long and the nails super short so he just did what he had to. Fixed the torn one -- not sure if partial or total removal. She is now bandaged and I have her rain slicker which is working as long as I can watch her just making it hard enough for her not to touch it. I have an inflatable ring but the large was too large and the medium is a bit smallish. Trying to avoid going that route. Anyone have any ideas how to keep her away from the back paw? We go back Friday morning which means 2 nights and one more whole day. On the up side she is walking around like fine on it bandaged. What can I do that I have around the house being an hour from town?

2. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I suggest either 1) move closer to town...or 2) study up to become a home vet?

Just kidding - happy to hear that Melli is on the road to recovery!

3. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    yikes

Blessings on you and Melli, how scary! I don't have any suggestions, just hoping for a speedy recovery.

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    When my Chance injured his paw I used a childs cotton sock.
    When I put it on I used ace flexible bandage wraps to secure it on his leg.
    I got the tall socks... I left about 2 inches above the ace bandage, then folded it over so he could not tear off the ace bandage keeping it on his leg.

I guess I would add a neck cone or inflatable cone with it since you are gone.

Would HATE to have anything chewed and you would have a bigger issue.

I am blessed to work from home so I do not have to worry as I am always keeping an eye on him.

Can you give pain meds to keep your pup quiet over the healing time?
    Just a thought to stop the pain that may be the reason for the licking.

Good luck

5. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    We made it through the night and she did just fine in the slicker though I had handy a larger dog jacket that would just swallow her whole and have so much extra material she couldn't find her paw if she tried and I had the inflatable ring handy. Most of the night she actually slept with that paw under her and I could catch some winks. I think it was a good idea for me to have all nails cut and cauterized. I think there is some discomfort in all her nails and so she is not exceptionally focused on the one paw. Add that to the books! Now that it is daytime I can stare at her all day. One more night and then we go back to a morning appointment. We can do this, we can do this . . . though my husband was a bit ticked when she was crying at 4:30 to potty and he had to carry her down the stairs for me. He's off Friday so tomorrow's a.m. stair call won't be as bad.

Oh . . . and YES I am tired of being mountain folk. Driving an hour to shop with coolers for the cold stuff or do literally anything else is getting old after 9 years!

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm glad Melli is doing OK and you all survived the night! I second the suggestion of using a child's sock. When I had to treat a paw that's what I did and used vet wrap to keep it secure. The flex wrap would do the same thing.

It's hard living a distance from everything. You have to have so many things on hand just in case!

7. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Poor Melli. I have also used a child's sock and tights to protect a wound. Basically making it as hard as possible to reach it. Ripped claws are such a nightmare!

8. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    We made it ALL 48 hours til we could get back to the vet with the bandages 100% intact and very very clean. Off they came and she was good to go. She licked it to clean it and pretty much has left it alone this past 24 hours. I honestly expected her to be more of a nightmare about it but she did well. Poor thing, she was limping pretty bad there for awhile. Then I realized she was limping on a different foot every time she stood up. They "deep trimmed" every toe and that poor little thing must have felt like she was walking on fire. All in all, she enjoyed the babying but not the two car rides (she is SO carsick). She even liked Daddy carrying her up and down the stairs, tail wagging each time he carried her. This is my troublesome little diva. She has cut her front paw on a gate, she slipped on a step when she first came and bruised her ribs pretty good, had 3 yeast infections of the ears (including once when I was traveling!), she has had a nasty recurrent UTI that I finally cleared and now give a supplement to stave off, and the flat hare feet and a nail that got torn. It makes me wonder how she survived as a puppy mill momma -- well, she ended up with a C section so there. Just one of those unlucky kids always hurting themselves and such.