Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Mindy’s Latest News

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by DianeP, Jan 13, 2022 at 7:27 PM.

1. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Mindy loves her “level 2” puzzle. All you need to do is ask her, “You want to do your puzzle?” and she comes running.She’s like a little kid who wants to do it over and over, so we do it three times in a row. We got her a “level 3” puzzle for xmas but it requires pulling out little drawers and she just doesn’t get it. Only wants something she can do with her nose.

You will notice her pink diaper in the video. She’s such a champ about wearing it and leaving it alone. She’s been on prednisone for almost a month since she was scoped and we got a confirmed diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease. The hope is the prednisone will knock down the inflammation and guess what, it seems to be working! She is acting like she feels better and we’ve been able to cut her anxiety meds in half!! The down side is that she is really hungry and thirsty and has been peeing in her sleep, hence the diaper. We just got the green light to start tapering her dose, so hopefully there will be less incontinence soon. Eventually, we hope we can get her off some of her GI meds, too.

I don’t know if it’s the fact she is feeling better, or that she’s 3 now, but she has been such a good girl lately and is listening to our cues to help her settle down when she’s wound up about something.:)

Hanne, ghggp, RikyR and 9 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    She's all business about that puzzle! Good job Mindy. Didn't know you'd had her scoped - but glad to know you have a diagnosis and that hopefully the pred will help her out. Good thing she doesn't seem to mind the diaper - they are a godsend really for cases like that!

Hanne, RikyR, Piper's mom and 4 others like this.
  3. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Diane, my Miley also has inflammatory bowel disease and initially (for 3 weeks) she was 5mg of preds daily which does make the constant drinking and peeing hard. But after the 3 weeks she was weaned to every other day for the preds and slowly went to preds every 3rd day at a low dose of 2.5mg. She has not had a flareup of her IBD for 2 years. The internist who worked with her also put her on Pro Plan HA which is a hydrolized vet diet...that is all she gets to eat and I believe that it is mostly the reason she had been bout free. Hydrolized diets are often recommended for a dog with IBD because protein is typically the main culprit in causing flareups and when the protein is hydrolized the body no longer id's it as protein even though the dog gets all the same nutrition from the food as if the protein was not hydrolized. If Mindy is not on a hydrolized diet it might be worth asking you vet about this.
    She is looking happy with her puzzle...such a pretty lass.
    Trini

Hanne, RikyR, Sandy in CT and 6 others like this.
  4. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Hi Trini, Mindy’s been on the Purina HA veggie for about a year now and it’s done wonders for clearing up her diarrhea. The internal med vet wanted to add the prednisone because she was still having reflux and occasional vomiting. I think really, she felt crappy. You can tell she feels so much better now. Her only treats are strawberries and raspberries which she can tolerate.:)

Hanne, trini, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  5. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    She's so dainty and lady like! (If you saw my guys Christmas puzzle vid, you understand that I'm collecting puzzle pieces flung all over the room when they're done!) I'm gonna borrow the level 3 with the drawers puzzle my neighbor got for her dogs that was a big flop. My guys are very handsy so it may work here.

I'm so happy she's feeling better! I think it's easier to be good when you don't hurt...

Hanne, RikyR, trini and 5 others like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
  7. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Hi Margi, all the pieces in this one are attached otherwise, some would be flying!

Hanne, trini, Margi and 3 others like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    What a good girl Mindy! I’m so happy to hear she’s feeling better
    I got my dogs a level 3 puzzle similar to your except it’s got a round disc in the center that they have to turn to get to some of the treats. Fortunately it’s removable because they can’t figure out that they have to use their paw. They just lick and lick and lick the spot because they can smell the treat lol. Without the disc they move the sliders.

Hanne, DianeP, trini and 2 others like this.
  9. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Love those puzzles!!! My dogs have one like this

Hanne, Piper's mom, DianeP and 2 others like this.
  10. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Glad to hear she is feeling better! Such a cutie!