Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Minnie spent last night in the hospital, she's fine, very scary!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by KarenCurtis, Aug 26, 2020.

  1. KarenCurtis

    KarenCurtis Premium Member

    3,166
    3,855
    290
    Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I didn't feel like sharing this last night. Yesterday morning we went to the beach as usual. Minnie plays there with her friend Blizzard. She got into something and ingested some before I could get to her, it was black poop, pretty sure. She was fine walking home and the dogs took a nap, as usual. I got ready for the day, got busy cleaning in another room. A few hours later, after noticing the dogs were quiet, I see Minnie trying to get up, she had trouble standing and was twitching. I grabbed her and raced to the Vet, who thought it looked like a toxin was ingested, not likely blue green algae, I told her about the poop matter she ingested. The vet gave her activated charcoal, and then a shot of Valium, since there were seizure like symptoms. While we were deciding that maybe she'd be fine at home, Minnie threw up the charcoal and started screaming. I was frozen in terror! The Vet told me to get her to the Emergency all night Vet specialists, about 20 minutes away. We got Minnie in a crate and in my car in the pouring rain, the vet called ahead and the Emergency place was ready for me. I called my husband out of work to meet me there, Emergency took her right away, did vitals, put her on an IV, did an ultrasound, bloodwork, everything. She got better while there, but we had to wait a couple hours for that confirmation that she seemed fine. She stayed overnight and she is home, she's fine. I'm exhausted, and I blamed myself for not noticing sooner, and not getting to her before she ingested whatever it was! I will just be more vigilant from now on, I have to be. It also seems like Minnie had a reaction to the Valium, our regular vet thought so. Thanks for listening. Ugh!!!! $2,000.00 later, we're happy now.
     
    Hanne, JacqueZ, RikyR and 7 others like this.
  2. GlennR

    GlennR Premium Member

    1,021
    4,151
    255
    Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't think it's possible for anyone, regardless of their level of attentiveness, to prevent a Sheltie from ingesting the wrong thing from time to time. Willow has snapped up things and swallowed them before I could do anything about it. It's a good thing that most dogs aren't encountering really harmful things.
     
    DianeP, Wendy C, RikyR and 6 others like this.
  3. KarenCurtis

    KarenCurtis Premium Member

    3,166
    3,855
    290
    Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
  4. Piper's mom

    Piper's mom Moderator

    4,250
    8,589
    540
    Jun 26, 2015
    What a terrifying experience Karen! What a relief that Minnie is ok!
    Don't beat yourself up, it wasn't your fault. We try to be the best dog owners we can be but sometimes bad stuff just happens. Give Minnie a pat from me and telll her no eating anything on the ground!:hugs
     
  5. Cindy

    Cindy Premium Member

    2,536
    4,028
    290
    May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    OMG...that sounds terrifying! my heart is beating fast just reading about it.
    I think you might need a spa day....or at least a long bubble bath.
     
    Wendy C, Darren, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  6. SheepOfBlue

    SheepOfBlue Premium Member

    5,328
    3,426
    335
    Oct 15, 2009
    Glad Minnie is relatively OK
     
    Wendy C, Darren, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  7. TheDailyPainter

    TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

    176
    567
    145
    Sep 19, 2019
    Sorry about that terrible bump in the road. I've been there...ER visits are costly too! Glad she's ok. Wonder what it was she ate? Maybe go back yourself (without her) and see if you can find more of it?
     
    Wendy C, Darren, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  8. KarenCurtis

    KarenCurtis Premium Member

    3,166
    3,855
    290
    Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Yes!
     
    Piper's mom likes this.
  9. KarenCurtis

    KarenCurtis Premium Member

    3,166
    3,855
    290
    Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We did find it and removed it. Probably poop
     
  10. ghggp

    ghggp Moderator

    5,343
    8,409
    585
    Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I agree! and maybe s glass of wine or two with that bubble bath!
    I agree you can't stop everything from happening in cases like this. Just thank God she recovered.
    Like Cindy mentioned, my heart was racing also. Gezzz... these little ones can give us such a fright!

    Give her a soft pat and hope she never tries that again!
     
    Wendy C, Darren, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.

Share This Page